Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rare warm and dry August week ahead

Options
  • 07-08-2022 12:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭

It may be somewhat early to warrant an event thread but either now or never right.

Met Éireann have issued an advisory for the upcoming warm weather which could get hot by later this week.

Weather Advisory for Ireland

Ireland will experience a hot spell developing from Wednesday and continuing through the rest of the week and the weekend. Daytime temperatures will widely reach the mid to high twenties. Remaining uncomfortably warm overnight too. Updates will follow.

Impacts:

• Heat stress, especially for the more vulnerable of the population

• High Solar UV index

• Risk of water related incidents

Valid: 11:25 Sunday 07/08/2022 to 00:00 Monday 15/08/2022

Issued: 11:25 Sunday 07/08/2022

Updated: 12:25 Sunday 07/08/2022

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

High pressure is building from the Azores at the moment and this looks set to push the jet stream further northward by mid-week allowing northern parts to get some sunshine and any shower risk to diminish.

At the start of the week, daytime highs mainly into the high teens in the north whilst it'll be closer to 23 or 24C in the south under longer spells of sunshine. We will see daily highs rise by a couple of degrees more by Wednesday time. There's the possibility of a local 30 degrees by the end of the week which would be interesting - the only summers where Ireland has had two months in the same year of somewhere in the country achieving at least 30C are 1976 and 1995. There likely won't be widespread 30s based on current guidance unlike the July heat spike but nonetheless, weather like this is rare enough in August so if you like warm and dry weather I would most certainly make the most of it. The last August heatwave and August 30C in Ireland was back in 2003. In that time, the country has had heatwaves in July 2005, July 2006, July 2013, June 2017, June/July 2018 and July 2021. It's about time August had one.

Classic belt of high pressure stretching from the Atlantic to Russia with slack warm easterly winds by Thursday. Stunning summery chart. Also see the main cloud is kept offshore to the northwest!

This warm weather is expected to go on until at least the 13th or 14th, there is the possibility of it hanging on a bit longer but the current guidance shows it breaking down by the 15th and going cooler. All this is subject to change.

As always, please be civil in the discussions. Everybody has different weather preferences, let's respect them and enjoy this rare August treat (of course if you like this kind of weather).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

Excellent. Thanks for the info sryanbruen. I think I'll book Thurs/Fri off.

Super growth at the moment after all that rain last Monday.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Great, ill be looking out a plane window at it.

nothing more depressing than going through the torture and nitemare of going to the airport when the weather is fine here, knowing that all u need is outside your front door.

im sure it will be back to shite on the return leg.

Post edited by squarecircles on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Nice bonus. August has often been terrible weather wise, but as soon as schools reopen, Indian Summer!

I'm not a weather buff but enjoy lurking on the weather threads, thanks for your service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Jesus the amount of negativity in that post.. you probably need that holiday more than you realise!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

Speaking as someone is currently away on holidays and will miss some of the good weather at home (I'll be back next weekend) I have to disagree. Sitting by the pool, swimming and eating and drinking is far more enjoyable than home. There's work, and even if your off there's housework and cleaning and a whole host of other things to get in the way of enjoying the nice weather. Enjoy your hols and forget about the weather at home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,507 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Haven’t looked at models myself since this morning as been out enjoying the great weather today but seen a glimpse of the GFS 12z showing 31C being achieved around Limerick on both Saturday 13th and Sunday 14th.

The August national record is 31.5C from 1975 and 1995 for reference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Looking like the August record could indeed go this weekend. Great Summer charts, this season now looking like one of the best Summers for many years. Whereas the July plume was very short this one could well deliver 7 days plus of fine weather

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,819 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Be careful what you are calling a septic pig hole, Ireland is my home, heritage and makes up my identity, with all it's flaws and failings and I feel compelled to stand up for it, Éire go Brách 🤣🤣.

Seriously hope you have a great holiday squarecircles, I know the weather has been poor in your area, hopefully when you get back you will find weather more appealing to you.

I'm off to greater London at the end of the week for a few days, looking very hot there getting past 30C, maybe 32 or 33C, might need to scale back some of the activities I had planned for central London, thinking I will take it easy and cut down on the travelling.

At home looking like getting up to the mid 20's Tues, up to 25 or 26C Weds, Thurs and Fri, high 20's Sat and Sun and remaining warm to hot on Monday by the looks of it but around then we could see a thundery breakdown somewhere in Ireland or England. Temps currently look to fall well back then on Tues.

For my own selfish reasons was hoping there might be thunderstorm's around London at the end of the week but currently anyway there doesn't seem to be a trigger until Mon orTues, but early days yet.

Fog might be prevalent overnight next week and could prove pesky as sea fog around some coasts Weds and Thurs. Rainfall looks to be at an absolute minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭Little snowy old me

Didn't think I'd be back until the first mentions of snow but it looks like a lovely warm week and weekend in store for the country, even here in Donegal! It would be some feat if we get a 30°C in August after the heat that some parts got in July and the near record highs.

Just out of curiosity, what is the latest date in August that 30°C has been reached in Ireland? I know that a 29°C has been measured in September.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

GFs 12z really dials up the heat next weekend for the south-west of Ireland showing 31C for Shannon/Limerick areas, we could potentially be looking at 32C or 33C as the GFS usually undercooks it's temperatures by 1 to 3C.

Serious sea breeze for Meath and Louth on the above chart lowering temperatures by almost 10C.

However the 12z is a bit of an outlier for next weekend. Most other runs show a slight cooldown taking place from Saturday.

• Advertisement

I was referring to

/////

• Registered Users Posts: 23,447 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Thanks for the thread OP!

This week will br a cracker.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

This summer is going to leave the summer of 2021 standing in terms of warmth and high temperatures and will be remembered for a long time to come. In the Dublin/Meath/Kildare regions we've only really had 2 poor weeks this summer, 1st week of June and final week of June.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭compsys

I'm the same. I'm off to Spain Wednesday afternoon until Monday.

However I'm in Dublin so getting three pretty decent days before I head off and will be able to travel to the airport in my shorts and t-shirt for a change (usually nothing worse than arriving at the airport in your jeans and runners and absolutely melting).

Also, I like sea swimming in summer so the sea will be a bit warmer for me when I get back (by Irish standards of course).

So trying to see the positives.

Also, looks like the week after next could be OK too.

Would be lovely to have a few nice days upon return.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,827 ✭✭✭acequion

I hear ya. I was meant to be going tomorrow, 8th but am really lucky to be able to postpone to Friday 12th at just a one way change flight fee. I mainly go away in summer just for weather and hate picking the one time we get it here. For very selfish reasons I don't want this heatwave lingering much longer after my departure on Fri because it will be shyte by the time I return on 19th. But as someone said, it is a bonus to for once be able to rock into the airport in full summer gear all acclimatized 😎 Enjoy your hols.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

GFs 12z really dials up the heat next weekend for the south-west of Ireland showing 31C for Shannon/Limerick areas, we could potentially be looking at 32C or 33C as the GFS usually undercooks it's temperatures by 1 to 3C.

So we should see a 37-38 reported at Shannon carpark Airport then. 😉

The positioning of that high is good for thunderstorms for here in the central Med. this week as it sets up a common dipole with the Genoa low. Hoping to see proper action before I go home. Sone distant thunderstorms have been popping up well inland, such as this one today, but 100 km away.

Still some scope for changes in the larger setup between now and next weekend but certainly during the week is looking good there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It'll be nice to have some August warmth this year and to make up for the not-so-nice start to Summer we've had. Looking forward to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Great weather for Ironman Cork here, in 2019 they had torrential rain for the entire day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Absolutely. So rare to get good weather in Ireland in August these days so we will all have to really cherish this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

It was still a great day in 2019 we had the swim on the bike🤣 here’s hoping for another great weekend my lads doing the Ironkids on Friday and I’m down for the Sunday can’t wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,595 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

The Met E forecast earlier on RTE looked absolutely splendid. Great to be able to make plans knowing it will be dry and sunny.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Clonmel the hot spot today. Climate station there reached at least 26.6C.

For the South this weeks spell looks warmer than the last one and certainly more prolonged. Not sure what is Corks highest temperature ever but I don't remember it surpassing 30C...

30C could happen Friday/Saturday.

Also nights look very warm over weekend...

Further to above I see the gfs is forecasting temps of 29C for the next 5 days over and near Cork area and South in general. That would be record breaking surely in both longevity and high temp for here!!

31.6C at Glengarriff on 28th June 2018 is the Cork county record.

28.7C for Cork Airport on 14th July 1983.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Looking forward to this warm spell, i agree with the name, rare warm for August week ahead, not often at all we see anything above 25c in August let alone a possible 30c

Arpege going for 32C on Friday for Kerry

Seems like a day for F5ing the Dooks climate station!

• Advertisement

UKV going for widespread 30s on both Friday and Saturday across the south and the midlands on Saturday.

UKV dials in a 33C for Athlone on Saturday. Perhaps this is a bit overcooked with parts of the Irish midlands giving London a run for it's money.

Advertisement