Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird Cage - Irish National Heritage Park

Options
  • 06-08-2022 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭

Hi all

At INHP last weekend, it’s great. Really enjoy it always. But there was an aviary / falconery there - hawks, falcons, macaws, and a few owls.

I dunno - they were in cages and it didn’t feel right. Especially the macaws. It didn’t seem like they would literally be able to stretch their wings. I’ve been in places were the whole outside area is enclosed in a mesh so at least the birds can fly somewhat but all these lads were in cages sitting on perches

just wanted to know if I’m totally off the mark with it feeling wrong or is that just standard.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,652 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

My view would be that parrots are too large and intelligent to be kept in that way - also issues with many species like the African Grey becoming increasingly endangered in the wild due to the exotic pet trade which doesn't appear to be well regulated in this country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thanks for that. Is there regulations or standards on how birds should be kept?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭Sesshoumaru

I've been there as well and their homes looked about same size as the ones used at the National Bird of Prey Centre in Russborough House. Those hawks and falcons are flown regularly though from what I remember. I did the Hawk walk at Russborough myself and have been thinking of doing a course on falconry. I've only got a Lovebird and Budgies at the moment, but if I had a larger bird it would be free flight trained whether raptor or parrot. I'm only guessing, but I assume raptors at least are free flown at the INHP. Their website says it's a "master falconer" running the show there. So I'd say they must be flown and used for hunting, otherwise it's not falconry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭karlitob

Thanks for that. And to be fair, there was a master falconer (I presume that was he) there when we were there who told us about the bird (not the most verbose chap in the world though).

one stupid question - you say they are flown regularly…..do they just return home or do they ever fly away?

Advertisement