Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Banshees Of Inisherin

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭thefa

I struggled for the first stage trying to figure out what it was trying to achieve but then got into it and the rest flew by but was likewise left down by the ending. Acting is strong and the look into island life was interesting. It’s a slow burner and funny only occasionally but enjoyable if in the mood for this kind of film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

I went to see it this afternoon, oh, the joy of only a few in the cinema, no distractions whatsoever.

I really enjoyed it, some brilliant characters and top class acting. Special mention to Jenny the donkey, and Colm's dog. I hope either or both get nominated for acting awards, because they shone throughout the film.

And anyone thinking it's dark? Of course it is, Martin McDonagh's middle name is Dark Humour, and he does it better than most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭cmac2009

Judging by the below quote from Mcdonagh in a recent guardian interview (great read) he would agree with you about 7 Psychopaths.

Saw this today and thought it was fantastic and deserving of the all the 5 star reviews. But I'm a fan of his work. Only critical comment was the ending felt a bit off.

"He’s still honest about his work, and chucks out “at least one thing every year or two” that isn’t up to scratch. Even after the event, he can reassess: he tells me that The Behanding in Spokane is “one of my **** plays” and says of Seven Psychopaths that he doesn’t think it works because he was trying too hard to make a “cool film”. “It ended up like an essay about the people instead of a film. I watched Bruges and Psychopaths back to back just before making Three Billboards, and I realised that I was with all the characters in Bruges. And that was the kind of film I wanted to keep making.”

Post edited by cmac2009 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,424 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Sorry if I'm being Captain Obvious here, but Banshees give warnings/mourn for the dead and the translation of Inisherin would be Island of Ireland so would that add to the Civil War allegory?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,992 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

So is this the best film ever made?

Listening to rte over the last week or so, it sounds like it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭the 12 th man

It's a bit of an oddity of a movie I felt with the story very slow moving but with brilliant performances from the cast right down to the pets.

Gleeson's character was severely depressed/disturbed in the movie and I thought Farrell's character was a heartbeat away from being mentally slow in all his thoughts and deeds which doesn't really give great grounds for an In Bruges reprise.

Overall a bit over hyped but still a very entertaining watch.

Post edited by the 12 th man on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I’d often argue that Metacritic / Rotten Tomatoes user reviews are the worst place to go for opinions on films, but to be fair Liveline caller reviews might be the absolute worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭starkid

its a good film well shot with nice humour and an original idea. I liked the reflection on Island life, the slowness of time, and quiet despair. Having read all of Synges Island diaries the life of that time (a bit before) is fascinating and something completely alien to modern Irish life.

I didn't find it that bleak at all, as it carries the subtle surrealism of alot of his work I actually found parts of Calvary (the brother i know) a better reflection on mood, ireland, landscape and time etc.

It is overrated thoughimo. Oscars? be cool if it happened, but really?

Also McDonaghs work doesn't sit as comfortably with me. Its perhaps an English version of Ireland. Subtly diddly aye and beholden to the greats before him. Criticism he baulked at when Conor McPherson said as much.

The Field is a far greater work, and written by an Irishman. The parallels are here. The village dunce (Keoghan/Hurt) the dim witted farm hand (bean/farrell) and the main man of town (Gleeson/Harris). The pub is to the forefront, and the village bears close resemblance. the sea and cliff scenes as well near the end.

Funnily enough the field was seen as too dark with American audiences, and that has impinged on Irish cinema ever since. The view of Ireland from abroad is this film, for better or worse. Ireland and its cinema can be only dark if its quirky and humorous. I'd say a true reflection of Aran Island life and say a take on Synges work wouldn't do well. which is a pity. You could have Revenant style cinema, based in/on Ireland quite easily.

The wonder looks interesting, a bleaker take on the Island.

all in all its great to see McDonagh want to make Irish films. and his parents live in Galway and as he saids himself growing up in the diaspora has probably made him more Irish than somebody living in Dublin.

yet give me the Field, or the lighthouse over this anyday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Saw this today and enjoyed it but didnt think it would be as bleak

as for The ending, pretty weak and never really explained wtf all the ignorance was for, Is it some ploy about irish island life been depressing but people cant escape it. So did yer man **** himself in the lake or did he fall in ?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭the 12 th man

Whiff of the Ian Baileys off Gleeson with the hat and long coat I thought...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I took it that each of the 4 main characters took their decision on how they were going to "spend the rest of their days" a-la Colm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,887 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Nice twist all the same that only 1 of those characters died and it was the least expected a bit. So the 2 deaths meant the Donkey and Keoghans Character

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

There’s a film called The Field based on a play by John B Keane it came out around 1990

its far superior than this film which is ok in lots of respects but the plot is really weak

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,415 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Must be very niche. Never heard of it. Would be surprised if anyone else here has heard of it either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,692 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I saw this a few days ago. Thought it was good but not great.

I didn't really get the point of the civil war references...like the relationship between the two main characters was supposed to mirror that in some way...but never really got it. I also didn't get the point of the confessional references to despair...never really fleshed out enough.

Mostly I found the humour jarring, especially later on as the plot itself got darker. The scene which ended with a joke about 'the same bread van' is a good example of what i am talking about - just as the narrative around Colin Farrell's character descending into revenge/taking action for the first time is developing momentum, it gets knocked back by a cheap joke. There was a lot of that I thought.

Didn't think Colin Farrell's performance was great either..he just doesn't have the gravitas.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,943 ✭✭✭YellowLead

I felt like it could have been brilliant but wasn’t.

I found the humour quite naff and just not funny. I wish it had been left out and there had just been a concentration on the really dark and thought provoking storylines which were more Irish than the diddly eye jokes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,673 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

must be doing quite well, not a ticket to be had all weekend in the Stella in Rathmines

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,608 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

• Registered Users Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭BruteStock

I will view this picture in the auditorium next week. If it underwhelms I will consider Marty to be an average film maker who caught lightening in a bottle once and never came close to making anything remotely as good ever again.

I would rank his brothers Cavalry and Guard over his post In Bruges duds. I just hope Innisherin is a return to form for Marty who I have liked since seeing his excellent short film Six Shooter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I’ll skip this , I hated Calvary, three billboards and seven psychopaths and while good , I’ve always felt In Bruges is over rated

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭siblers

I thought Barry Keoghan was really bad in it, like it was something from a local drama group. He's a decent enough actor but this was dreadful stuff

Ending was a bit of an anti climax dreadful too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭weadick

Just back from seeing this, what a dissapointment. Unremittingly bleak depressing nonsense. Yet another laughably overrated McDonagh film, what have those guys ever done to get such unwarranted praise.

I really enjoyed this even though it was bleak, even watched the Field the day before to really get me depressed.

Kerry Condon was excellent in it, love to see her in more front in center is future projects, colin was also a standout.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Keoghan was actually excellent. My heart broke for his poor simple minded character, with loads of potential (his use of really intelligent language at times), just abused and ignored until the final, albeit gentle, rejection from Siobhan sent him to his death.

I'm not generally impressed by Keoghan, but I think this was a tour de force actually and I wouldn't be surprised to see award season nominations in the supporting categories.

As for the film itself, it isn't meant to be resolved or satisfying, just a mirror put up to life. The isolation of man, reflected in the Civil War raging across the narrows. Loss and loneliness.

I went to see it last night and I may go once more to pick up some of the nuances I probably missed the first time.

Yes its bleak, yes its a nod to The Field albeit in the black comedy mode. More than a little nod to Samuel Beckett too.

Open your minds and your hearts to it, its a great film.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭saabsaab

I'd say you're right. Civil war divide and all even the character that says it was great when we were killing the english much simpler.

I found it funny especially the first half. Even towards the end I was laughing out loud but I was on my own.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

Saw this last night and while I wouldn't say I disliked it, I certainly didn't like it. McDonagh is a weird one really, personally I enjoyed 7 Psychopaths most of all his work but that seems to be his least critically popular movie🤷‍♂️

Anyway, the bleakness didn't really resonate with me and tbh I spent most of the movie waiting for something to happen.

I will say the acting was superb, Keoghan in particular I thought was excellent and up til now I've hated him in anything I've seen him in.

I'd always gauge my enjoyment of a movie by asking if I'd ever want to watch it again and for this, it's a resounding no.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Lip Out

An absolute masterclass of a film deserving of any accolades coming its way. Perhaps it won't appeal to the Marvel generation but for proper film enthusiasts, it's a must see.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,756 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

What a load of pretentious, self fellating twaddle. Personally I've never sat through an entire marvel movie and I'd rather lick the sole of my shoe having trod in dog poo than do so. Proper film enthusiasts. For **** sake. 🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,723 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I never understand the impulse to offer a snide little swipe at anyone who disagrees with you. It’s not just completely toxic to actual discussion, but also entirely undermines any other point being made in the post.

Some people like the film, some don’t. It’s really as simple as that.

If that was about Lip's comment, it wasnt directed at an individual here, its a variation on, if you want to see more niche movies go see them in the cinema or else they will keep making Marvel movies, which I think is fair enough

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

The best part of this film was the silence and facial expressions imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

Keoghan was the best thing about the movie imo. His portrayal of Dominic was excellent.

I'd seen the comments here, I thought he was great too, he was clearly playing a character that was on the spectrum , and for being the "village idiot" his character had good insights into the other characters.

McDonagh’s writing and Keoghan’s performance strike a fine balance - Dominic’s character is obviously a lot to take, but at heart he’s a decent, lonely and troubled person just trying to find his way. It’s a really interesting and dramatically potent contrast with the Colm / Paraic relationship, and I think we get a valuable insight into Paraic as a character through his interactions with Dominic too. It’s clearly an abrasive performance from Keoghan, but I think that’s cleverly used to wrong foot the audience because it clearly transpires he’s a character deserving of basic decency and sympathy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 199 ✭✭Aurelian

I found putting "feck" between every second word terribly clichéd. A bit diddly aye.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭Brief_Lives

I thought he was excellent, alright...

but can someone tell me, did his dad kill him?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I'm tempted to see this but my last few visits to the cinema have been ruined by morons and their phones. I'm honestly starting to see for the first time why people pirate things. Watched In Bruges on Netflix recently. Might be better to wait.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,500 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I don't think so, I took it he may have fell in drunk after his chat up of Siobhan by the lake or suicide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,500 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Farrell's expressions were excellent, himself and Keoghan were outstanding in their roles, it's worthy of the praise imho and hope the Oscars do take it in to consideration especially for McDonagh, Farrell and Keoghan

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Time of day can sometimes be your friend. If you can go during off peak it should be emptier than the evenings

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,561 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Went tonight. One eejit on her phone but quiet overall.

I loved it. One of the best films I've seen in a while. MacDonagh really encapsulated the isolation of island life. Some really nice Irish historical touches as well such as the postbox being painted green. The cast were all fantastic and the scenery was gorgeous as well.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

That little smile Farrell gave the dog at the end on the beach

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Tiredandcranky

Really enjoyed it. Humour is dark, but expected that.

I think there was a clear comparison between gleesons character and the people fighting the civil war on the mainland. Both were doing drastic things in order to try and achieve something with their lives.

Farrells speech re niceness in the pub (my mammy and daddy were nice, and I'll remember them) was pointing out the futility of it. In the end, the donkey probably had as much of a memorial as gleesons character was ever going to have (or mcdonagh or any of us).

The green postbox scene was making the same comment on the civil war combatants.

One of his better ones I think. Not one of his funnier ones, but they don't all have to be side splitting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Thought it was OK but not great. Premise seemed a bit silly to me but maybe the intricacies were lost on me.

What kind of an accent were they going for? Do people say "aye" outside of the north?

It looked great, it was nice to see that period of ireland recreated well.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭AMTE_21

Saw this last night and found it very depressing. The scenery was lovely, the acting was great, especially Siobhan’s character, she was the only one with a bit of gumption in her! I thought it was a bit cliched if it had been made by anyone else, we would be up in arms about how we were portrayed.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭Pdoghue

Interesting to read the comments here after seeing it last week myself.

The comments are reflective of the fact that some people go to the cinema to be entertained with a neat resolved conclusion, and other people who see cinema as art. That's not intended to come across as po-faced, but that is how it is generally.

I thought this film was fantastic on lots of levels. The themes; friendship, isolation, island life, snobbery, war, the humanity/inhumanity of man, animals, and then the cinematography and the acting were superb. A great work of art should move you in some way, be that a piece of music, a painting, a film, etc. This made me think a lot about those themes I mentioned above.

It was set in Ireland but could apply to any rural situation in any country of the world.

the Hollywood version would have had the sister teach the brother how to play the violin , there would then be a big music competition on the island for no reason, the brother would win and the 2 would become friends again with a new sense of respect between them. Meanwhile the village idiot would have stumbled on a box of weapons from a wrecked ship, taken a gun and gone back to go dirty harry on his dad. The sister still leaves but says "maybe" to the village idiot and the film ends with her sailing off the island, The End

Well said. Sad to see people complaining because they expect to see the same old tired tropes again and again and again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement