Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish drinkers no longer hardcore, or softcore?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54,717 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I alwas found we did an awful lot a talk about being drinkers, were as other nations just drank!!!

Mouthpieces here! Playing to the gallery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

The hospitality sector is on its knees. Over 30 years experience and never seen it as bad as now. Covid was the warning shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,637 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

where you watch runners for local dealers in and out of the pub with sachets of cocaine mostly for clients . No enjoyment in watching that all night .

sounds mad entertaining.

You could make a drinking game where you all take shots when a deal goes down.

I was at a stag lately and the average lad was putting away 8-12 pints no problem with the odd Pintman hitting for between 16 and 20. Slightly older crowd in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I only drink before I attend a concert or on a trip to enhance the experience. When I was holidaying in London in April I drank a bottle of rum and went out walking in central London in the rain at night. Even though I was blind drunk I still was able to navigate the complicated tube journey back to my hotel in the other side of London.

Hopefully I don't become an alcoholic, my uncle has been an alcoholic for 13 years which started after his wife was sleeping with his friend behind his back.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

Lots of mention of coke here and I think it's true. I'm early 40's and was a madman in my 20's like a lot of people on weekends. Booze the odd pill etc on weekends. I calmed down in my early 30's and it's rare now I go on any session. 2 examples. Sisters wedding last year finished at midnight been drinking all day prob 20 bottles of beer drunk but in control sleep by 1am had to crawl out of bed at 11am for work at 12 couldn't concentrate just knackered all day barely got the minimum done. A few weeks ago I get a random phone call at about 9pm Sat nite from a friend who lives around the corner she has her weed dealer over (don't smoke the stuff) but she says he's got great coke pop over. I haven't taken the stuff in years so reluctantly go over out of curiousity and end up on the the gear till 3am having to be at work at 10am. A bit tired from not enough sleep but other than that work was no problem, no headache and flew through the day. If I was in my 20's now it would be coke all the way on the weekend. Go halves on a bag 45 quid I don't drink on the stuff so feck all spent on booze it's a cheaper night out and the next day is much easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,834 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

If i had all the entertainment and options available to me now if I was 18, compared to what was available when I was 18 in the early 2000's, then I probably wouldn't have gone out as much either. We went out because there was nothing else to do. Not for young people in the country anyway. The night, or nights, out were the thing to look forward to. Now, there's no need. You don't even have to leave home to have a "night out", depending on your interests. I've had many great nights drinking (when I used to drink) while playing online with people.

Now, I dread ever getting invited to anything. I won't willingly go to pubs, etc anymore because I just can't deal with people drinking anymore. I think a lot are becoming like that. Even the "hardcore" drinkers I used to know seem to be calming down. And as mentioned, most people end up in relationships and all the expectations/lack of time that comes with that. Netflix and Chill is cheaper, and oft times better, than a night out, in my experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭GNWoodd

It was the lads drinking two or three pints and driving home that caused all the bother . Oh wait , maybe not !

• Registered Users Posts: 19,394 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I work as part of a U.K. Ireland team. The two of us based in Ireland basically drink fcuk all. The English like fishes. They can’t make us out at all! And not the first time. Last team I was in two of the Irish were basically tee-totallers. Drink is fading into the social background here in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

Well, I think the sensible

thing to do is to assign one or a coupla nights a week to drinking as moderately as possible. In my case, my wife and I have wine, and I am trying to do the wknd thing as opposed to every other night. At my age, the drinking of beer or wine brings on sleeplessness. Whenever I stop drinking for a few nights, the sleep gets better, very quickly. I can do without the hard stuff, hardly ever drink it, but wine is nice, but the goal is to keep it reasonable. So, in essence, this reduction in drinking is a good thing in Ireland, and I have no issue with all out teetotaling either, in hygienic terms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,873 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Publicans are charging way too much for pints.…Weekends most locals even it seems have a few coke sniffing knuckleheads who towards the last hour or before are bequeathing an atmosphere of unpleasant and belligerent unpredictability… so basically many people are having get togethers at home.. I’ve had a few…was even contemplating buying a pool table and just setting up the iPad on Spotify connected to a wireless stereo and having at it…

• Registered Users Posts: 17,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Had a catch up with some of my uncles a while back. They're all retired hardy fishermen and all lived in the same village they grew up in. They said that despite there once being about 8 pubs going back a few decades, there's only 1 open (and a 2nd hotel open only during tourist season).

As for my uncles themselves, now they have pedometers and make sure they get their 10k+ steps every day walking the dogs. Pints are for weddings, funerals and birthdays.

Advertisement