Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance claim

Options
  • 04-08-2022 6:54pm

Hey all, just a quick query,

I was rear-ended the other day, clearly not my fault, have dash cam footage, etc.

Car is damaged and needs to be repaired.

Gardai were called and were provided insurance details. I called them today but was given the run around as it appears it was done through an insurance broker so the main insurance company couldn't find details. Finally was given the correct details but it was at the end of the day and now I've lost a day in getting my car repaired.

My query is, I have fully comprehensive, is it going to be just easier to go through my own insurance instead of constantly having to chase the other insurer?

I need my car for work and it seems going through the other insurer is going to be a long drawn-out process with no loan car for a few days, to say the least, at least if I go with my own insurance company I presume things will get moving far quicker?

If I do go through my own insurer can I claim back the excess (300) if and when they are reimbursed by the other insurer?

Also, my phone was on one of those magnetic vents, and the impact through the phone off and it now got a cracked screen, is it worth pursuing a claim for damages to it, can I claim?

Thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

leave it with the insurance companies, i expect you will be supplied with hire car by insurance at least for certain number of days...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭beachhead

You can claim for the phone.Should be included in car repair claim.Have you included it on the incident report form?

Havent got that far yet, reported it to my insurance company, they said i could claim through them or i could go direct with the other insurance company if i wanted to avoid the excess.

Spent the day trying to get the right insurance details, turns out it was a brokers, then when i called it just went to voicemail, prob as it was near closing time.

Thinking it may just be easier and more simpler to go through my own insurance company and let them deal with it.

My own policy provides 7 day car loan for a claim, just hoping i can get back the excess and damage to my phone screen

It shouldn't be a problem getting your excess refunded.Easier to let your insurance co pursue the claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

If the 3rd party's insurers accept liability, it would be better to claim directly from them in the first instance. You can include the full cost of repair, vehicle hire, damage to your phone and any other verified loss. If you go through your own insurance, you will have to bear the excess initially. Most insurers will provide you with a courtesy vehicle for a period of time. It is only when they have completed your claim will they seek recovery from the 3rd party insurers. At this point they can tag on what are known as your uninsured losses, such as your excess and phone. On success, they will forward on your share of the recovered amount.

In a case where liability is clear and accepted by the 3rd party insurer, I would deal directly with them. Where there is any dispute or delay, I would go through my own policy. Remember, if you go through your own policy, it remains as a claim on your record until it is recovered and there is no obligation on them to seek recovery if they feel it would be uneconomical to do so

• Advertisement

Also, do i claim through their brokerbor underwriter?

Thanks

It depends. Some brokers have claim handling authority but the majority are done by the underwriter. Contact the broker, they will direct you. Do you know who the underwriter is?

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭sirmixalot

Something similar happened to me a few years back and I claimed on my Ins but had issues the following year getting insured as I had a "Not at fault claim" marked on my file, was getting ridiculous quotes because of it. Eventually had to insure for the mad price but got it adjusted back to normal months later.

Anyone heard of that before or similar?

Yea, Zurich, though when i called them yesterday they claimed not to know any of the details and suggested i contacted the broker, despite me not knowing who the broker was at the time.

The broker and Zurich may use different policy numbers for the same case. If you go on to the brokers website, it should have a section on how to make a claim. Follow that route as if you are one of their policyholders.

• Advertisement

That shouldn't have happened if you had a statement from the 3rd party's insurers saying no cost to you.

Just an update,

Finally got somewhere with Zurich who have now accepted liability.

In order to get a loan car, I had to go with their own recommended Crash repairer where my car is waiting to be quoted for repairs.

Not holding out much hope as I told the guy to who I handed the key over that the car won't lock as the central locking is busted, he looked puzzled and asked if this was from the crash, (Which it was), I am wondering how good their quote for damages will be if they didn't even ask me what was wrong with the car!

I also asked for a receipt for my car, something to say they had it, I received a puzzled look and questioned as to why I would need such a thing! Eventually, the manager gave me something to say they had my car.

Does anyone know if I can get a breakdown of the quote to see if I am happy before they commence work, will the Insurance company inform me for instance to seek agreement from all sides? I have inspected the car myself and have a long list of issues and problems but I have no way of knowing what damage is under the car and behind bumpers etc.

You don't have to use their approved repairer in the first place. As the aggrieved party you can go to a reputable repairer of your choosing, though there would be nothing wrong with the work. As for car hire, again you can go to a reputable firm of your choosing, though you would have to pay for it yourself and seek reimbursement if you don't use their repairer.

Ask for the damage report and if you have any doubts, appoint your own assessor to validate it

Advertisement