Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC Quantum 70 DTV Connector / SMS

Options
  • 03-08-2022 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi.

I've found lurking in this sub-forum invaluable over the years.

I’ve had a HKC alarm for over 10 years and it is configured with a DTV dialler to use TAP to send SMS over the phone line. Unfortunately, for the last month or so sending a test SMS from the panel no longer works and the panel returns ‘Call failed’ after around 30 seconds.

From my investigations it would appear the Vodafone server number I was using (07785499993) looks to have been finally been shut down (as of May 2022).

GSM is an option but not economical for the sake of possibly two or three texts a year. I looked into a service called OpenTAP which would seem to fit my need (for a small fee per text) but have been unable to get it working. On the panel, I updated to their server number under the SMS settings, and also changed my mobile to be prefixed with country code and dropping the 0 as stated in their guide.

I am at the point where the panel dials out (and I am charged for the text) but no SMS is sent and still the ‘Call failed’ status on the panel.

I spoke to their support who were technically helpful and the testing from their end comes back fine, but something is not getting through pointing back to the panel. They did mention checking a parity setting but I cannot find anything in the manual referring to this under the Communications section.

Many Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

I don't know any service provider that has texts still enabled on the line.

You could set up the voice and have it play a voice message when alarm activates, it will also tell you what zone activates.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BOOTP

Thanks altor, yes I had considered this but wasn't entirely sure how to set it up. The correct phone numbers are already under Monitoring & Voice so I think I need to change the protocol to Voice from FastForward for these numbers, and then record a site name. I assume I can avoid the Channel Menu completely as I believe this relates to monitoring centres?

Also, does the Voice protocol only ring you if the alarm activates? I ask because in the SMS Menu there is a section which lets you configure what is reported such as alarm, system fault, arm, inhibit, soak, etc., but I could not find a similar menu for the Voice protocol?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

Yes, that is correct. You will need to delete the numbers in the SMS menu, press, yes no yes in each number to delete.

Alarm will ring you and let you know alarm activations and faults also.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BOOTP

Thanks altor, apologies for the late reply. I now have everything all up and running, but it is possible to disable the DTV ringing me on Full Set arming and disarming the alarm? (I have to pay for the calls).

Advertisement