Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frank Duffy 10m - Aug 20, 2022

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Trampas

Parking is the big issue. Phoenix park isn’t on everyone’s public transport line without take at least 3 modes of transport. Especially after a race. Get into Dublin, luas and then shuttle bus. That’s just reality.

Course isn’t hilly by any stretch of the imagination. Fair course. If you want flat go elsewhere if you’re doing marathon then might give you an idea where you are as marathon isn’t pancake flat but not hilly either

• Enjoyed that. A lot of weaving. First 5 miles @7.42 then 7.30 for the final 5. A second under 76mins for 75.59. Yay sprint finish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

2500 finishers, tells its own story. The OPW and DCM got what they wanted so that's the main thing rather than encouraging as many participants as possible, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Peckham

I had an entry for this morning, but the logistics just seemed like too much hassle. Went to parkrun instead!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Really enjoyed that this morning. Parked in my usual spot with no trouble at all, wandered down to the start area, loads of toilets available, went out and ran a PB with a big negative split, and finished feeling like I could have went on for a half marathon PB as well.

Been doing a lot of trail running and a lot of elevation this year so the hills and strong wind didn't trouble me at all, to the point that I was getting a lot of confidence from passing so many people who seemed to slow right down when they reached a hill or turned into the wind.

Looking forward to the half marathon now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,491 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Cycling in from Dublin 3 just after 8am there was plenty of parking available in the vicinity of the park, within a warmup jog of the start area. Great to see so many people strolling and cycling to the start from the park gates - it was the way a Phoenix Park race should be, and it's the way of the future - the parking moaners need to get with the programme! 😁 And of course there was the shuttle service too, not to mention Dublin Bikes or Moby, and plenty of taxis which were dropping people off at the Phoenix monument.

The course was challenging but fair and a really excellent preparation for DCM. The numbers were down on previous years, like most events so far this year, but plenty of competition and the Dublin Championships ensured a decent club participation as usual.

Nice little souvenir in the goody bag - nearly missed it as it was so small. Nice tee shirt too, this year's race series shirts have decent fabric.

Flawless organisation as always, it really is an excellent event.

Well done to all who participated. 💪

Post edited by Murph_D on

• Yeah I walked and ran down from carpenterstown. My mate drove from rahney and had no issues parking or getting out to drop me home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 714 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Fantastic event; bike park and bag drop were absolutely hassle free. Wind was strong enough but the direction was probably favourable in two of the more important parts - the most exposed part of the track on the Acres Road and, of course, the finishing strait!

Under an hour with a PB, so a good day all round. Looking forward to the Half Marathon and then the big one itself in October.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Really enjoyed the course even with the wind.

The profile on the site suggested a big hill just before the end so I held a bit back for it but it never arrived 😅

Thought it was pretty well organised, bag drop and toilets close to the start and no mucking about before or after

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

i thought the race was tomorrow. had been training for it and woke up at 9.30am to see all the runners passing by my window, lolz, (i can see the phoenix park from my house in islandbridge). raging i missed it but glad it wasnt the half or (god forbid) the actual marathon. oh well, looked like a lovely morning for it too.

Yeah, there are a few anomalies like that in the elevation databases that Strava/Garmin and other apps pull the info from. Hills that don’t exist, or hills that do exist but Garmin doesn’t know about. I’ve noticed that one before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Any sign of results going up yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Really poor performance by the organisers re the results. In previous years TDL Events had results up minutes after people crossed the line, I know because I ran all of the races and always checked the results after finishing. The RTRT.me is in no way a decent substitute for a proper results service where the age cats cam be seen in seconds. I guess its penny pinching by the organisers not to use a competent timing service like TDL or MyRunResults.

• Advertisement

Eh, TDL IS the official timer for the event. And rtrt (imperfect though it is) is perfectly capable of showing Age Cat results. Just pull up your result (or anyone else's) and click on the category.

I don't know why TDL hasn't posted the full results on their own site yet, but I'm sure there's a plausible reason. In the meantime just go with the tracker, which is pulled from the same data.

https://track.rtrt.me/e/TDL-DUFFY10M-2022

I stand corrected, just had a msg from the organisers, apparently gremlins in the system, results are up now on TDL.

You do stand corrected, and fair play for admitting your error, but you should think about your grasp of facts before posting with emotional language in the first place. It was perfectly obvious that RTRT results were derived from TDL. (I'm kind of tired at this stage of lazy posts, so apologies if I'm offending anyone).

Peter Somba could have done with that 50 pacer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,830 ✭✭✭hawkwing

2521 finishers, a long way off the 5000+ in the heydays around 2011

• Advertisement

The organisers told me on F/Book this morning that the results would be "up on their website tomorrow", no mention or TDL running the timing, would have been useful if "the facts" were made kown. something along the lines of "the timing company TDL encountered some technical issues and the results have been delayed". End of confusion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 196 ✭✭Sorbet

Big thanks to the 100 minute pacers who did a great job. Really well run and enjoyable race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Plenty of parking in the "vicinity" of the park. Am I right in saying that you mean outside of the park then? 

I mean if so I don't see why this is a positive. You're likely talking about using the parking of a commercial enterprise or a residential area, which isn't exactly a better solution than having the vast area of the park and the many choices that have usually been available for such events. It's just moving the problem and unnecessarily annoying local residents and businesses.

Just because you think it's the way it should be doesn't mean that is a fact, it's an opinion, and judging by the numbers dropping off these events it's perhaps not necessarily a universally popular one. Surely it would make sense to make it as easy as possible for participants without disrupting general use. I don't really see what was wrong with the long-standing approach to be honest. 

Some of the suggestions made for people are not realistic. Parking in the city and getting a Luas and shuttle is adding a huge amount of time into peoples day and is quite a hassle. Similarly getting taxis and the likes is just another added cost.

Yes, I was talking about on-street parking on public streets, some free, some ticketed, all legal. I'm never afraid to park in a residential area or commercial area for a few hours, the same way I never would object to anyone parking outside my house on the public street. I realise some people DO feel they have more of a right than anyone else to park on the streets they live on, but this is just a sense of entitlement that is entirely wrong.

The 'parking discourse' tends to wind its way into nearly every discussion these days. It's pretty tiresome.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

I know many people from within Dublin county who didn't do this race yesterday, people who'd be doing these events going back to the very start of the series.

It's a combination of a green party agenda to make the Phoenix Park car free and limiting the numbers as DCM don't want a return to the 2010 to 2018 numbers(5000 average to a 7000 max) which were going out of control from a race management point of view.

The result of the utopian ideas at play here mean restricting mass participation which in itself is self defeating?

The consultation on the future of the park is over so remains to be seen how that turns out, who has the final call anyway? if opw has a mindset don't see how public change this direction.

Regards numbers in future, given we are heading for recession and swathes of people returning to the roads I see them capping these events at a low enough bar from 2023 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

Any idea how many registered, sounds like a big rate of no shows?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I only registered on the last day possible and my number was around 3700.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭nullObjects

Could also be people like me that registered just before Covid and had a "deferred" entry from a year or two ago. I didn't even realise the Tallaght five mile was coming up until I got the letter through the door with all 4 race numbers 😅

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭jlang

Numbers go up to 4000 in the results but that is only an upper bound and no indication that so many numbers were issued for the race in question as people who signed up early enough for the bundles of multiple races in the series got the same number for all of them.

Enjoyed the race anyway, despite the Achilles giving trouble from half way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Two points I'd have on it.

1 - The turn on to Chesterfield Avenue, or more the small path, was ridiculous. Too narrow for the numbers. The drop in pace was noticeable and very difficult to get around people. Can only presume this won't be the case the the half will it?

2 - Thought the 80 minute pacing was poor. I wasn't sticking with them but was keeping an eye on them. They really seemed to go off hard and then faded back to keep the pace. Had two people I knew running with it and they really started to fall back around the 10K mark, one of them really shouldn't have been. Eventually passed them just after the 15K mark where it was very noticeable they were slowing up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,084 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

That section has traditionally also been used for the half.

I was one of the 80min pacers and I would have to disagree with you, we paced it pretty spot on going through halfway in 39:56 and finishing in 1:19:41 (with is the target to finish within 20 secs of the time. Remember we are pacing from when we cross the start line, not when someone else does and I was calling watch checks from about halfway.

Splits were very consistent, bearing in mind I was running wide and not hugging the racing line, I knew from mile 1 the pace I needed to hit (which was 08:01 going through the marker in fact).

Also my pace line is pretty consistent with only a few variations, at the start where there was a little waiting to find a gap and some acceleration to find the next best position to be in and some of the elevation changes. There's 1 second between my splits from mile 7 to the end when you passed me and I was noticeably slowing up 🙄

My pacing partner was within 10 metres of me all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Nice work Mr Som or is it Mr Wavelight? :)

It would be interesting to see the complainants stats too.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

I went out with the 90 mins pacers and after just 2-3K in, I thought.....'Jaysus this pace is waaay too fast for 90 minutes'....then I looked at my watch and I realized that I was just running too slow... 😀

I pulled up my big boys pants and knuckled down and managed to catch up with them near the end at the Castleknock gate turning point with about 2 or 3K to go. I actually thanked them as I slowly ran past them and finished in 1:27 xx

Great job guys.....forensic timing on the mile posts...…just the way I likes it...…..👍️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,793 ✭✭✭Trampas

Interesting route for half. Down the upper glen road twice and same for acres road.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭smashiner

Signed up for the DCHM on Friday...the FD10 was the ideal prep for it.

I loved the actual FD race but I have to say that I was a bit surprised with the low(ish) turnout, although as a percentage there appeared to be a higher caliber of runner doing the event with lots of race singlets such as Raheny Shamrocks, Donore Harriers etc., which was good to see.

I wonder will the DCHM be the same or will a lot more 'weekend warriors' (like me 😉) be there.... the lure of the Half Marathon silverware might entice a few more people into the mix. Pre Covid these races seemed to be mobbed...in a good way.

Any thoughts??

I think the numbers will be down alright, just as they have been for all races and continue to be for many park runs. No reason to think otherwise. There'll be a decent club turnout as usual but the mass participation side will be down. Skyrocketing travel and accommodation costs won't be helping, although hopefully this will result in small local races around the country getting more support.

• Advertisement
Advertisement