Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Rugby Championship - 2022

Options
  • 02-08-2022 1:45pm

Starting this coming weekend.

SA have named their side to face the All Blacks:

Damian Willemse, Kurt-Lee Arendse, Lukhanyo Am, Damian de Allende, Makazole Mapimpi, Handre Pollard, Faf du Klerk, Trevor Nyakane, Malcolm Marx, Frans Malherbe, Eben Etzebeth, Lood de Jager, Siya Kolisi (c), Pieter-Steph du Toit, Jasper Wiese.

Reps: Bongi Mbonambi, Steven Kitshoff, Vincent Koch, Salmaan Moerat, Franco Mostert, Kwagga Smith, Jaden Hendrikse, Willie le Roux.

6-2 split on the bench is interesting, also Marx getting the nod ahead of Mbonambi. Moerat would be making only his second cap off the bench.

Does Jaden Hendrikse cover 10? Would be interesting to see how they'd cope with an early injury to either Pollard or a centre, given the composition they've gone for. I suppose Damian Willemse's versatility is what they're relying on.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,470 ✭✭✭Shehal

How Jaden Hendrikse gets games for SA is a mystery to me, I know he's young but any game I watch him play for the Sharks he looked hopeless.

Damian Williemse is a converted 10 so he would be the obvious back up at 10.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,989 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Le roux also has fly half experience from his early days, but willemse would be the obvious first option if Pollard had to go off

Really hope NZ can do a job. If SA beat them comfortably, it will belittle our series win like how France trouncing NZ belittled our November victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

I hope S.A murder them!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think NZ will win it comfortably. SA haven't looked impressive at all this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,134 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Kiwi side named now:

Interesting to see the changes in the tight 5; obviously Barrett into second row is injury enforced, but Taukei'aho in at hooker, and two new props on the bench (Lomax played for the Maori against us).

Tupaea in the 23 shirt feels like a strange call to me, and thought he was poor against Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Seems like endless tinkering and no real sense of what his best 15/23 should be. Backrow is still a problem, trying to shoehorn Cane in.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭EarWig

Ian Foster told to resign if All Blacks lose in South Africa

This must be the most hotly anticipated pair of matches in a long time. And the South Africans are just the team to want to dispatch them.

Even when playing badly they have the knack of winning. NZ will have to play like they did in the first Irish test to win here. I'd have it one each.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,782 ✭✭✭TheRona

Crazy to think SA have only beaten NZ a few times in the last decade. Hard to say if they're favourites going into this, they made Wales look good.

• Advertisement

it seems the NZ public are not confident. NZ bookies have SA favourites, only the third time the opposition has been favoured by the bookies in NZ in 340 AB matches since 1994

(at least that was the case when the newspapers went to print)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

Fair play to Hoop. Really glad to see a player as respected and talented as him stand up and do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭a2deden

Boooo i want to hear the haka

• Registered Users Posts: 11,125 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Ouch....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,153 ✭✭✭A-Train

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Jacovs

The problem with the 6-2 split, if one of your backs get injured after 43 seconds you only have 1 back left for the rest of the game.

On his home field too, poor Faf.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,730 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Faf flew into 2 tackles there with little regard for his well-being, guess he was fired up on his home ground.

Yeah, in some ways it's not surprising. Needed to be a bit more controlled.

• Registered Users Posts: 66,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

SA clearing out players beyond the ruck.

About 3 forward passes in that one phase as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Gardner shouting “use” when the Boks mauling is walking forward, continues to shout it twice more. It can’t be both, Angus.

Ioane then tackled past the ruck and out of the field of play infront of the AR. Nothing given.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

Marx never supporting his weight, just flopped on top of the ruck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Jacovs

NZ scrum hasnt showed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

For a country never short of talent, it's strange just how poor the NZ props actually are. Ta'avao is nowhere near international level. He's exhausted already and hasn't a clue what he's doing in the defensive line. Bower really isn't much better.

NZ hanging in there. The Boks won't sustain this intensity for the full game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,957 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

NZ look very laboured and slow in their attacking shapes

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,937 ✭✭✭fitz

Can see a red card being produced at some point the way SA are flying into tackles.

Did anyone else spot a NZ player on his back after a tackle kicking a SA player over him in the ribs? Was about 10 minutes ago, I thought the TMO was going to flag it, but could be a citing. It looked terrible.

NZ holding on against the intensity of SA...still don't look great on attack, but I think part of that is down to SA tackling like lunatics, and doing their best to smother NZ. Reckon NZ might have this if the game loosens up in the second half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

A couple of great turnovers by Marx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭RichieRich_89

Ooh, Motshidisi Mohono's on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,848 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

All Black confidence shot to bits.

Advertisement