Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsolved Irish Mysteries.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

The case of Patricia Doherty who disappeared from her home in Tallaght on Christmas Eve 1991 and whose body was found in the Dublin mountains six months later. The account of her last movements is strange to say the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,570 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I read the summary there - what stands out to you as strange? The husband's assumption that she was at work?

You'd think there would have been definite arrangements in place for Christmas Day.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,437 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Would Larry Murphy be a suspect?

Where her body was found isn't that far from Baltinglass and even nearer to Kilranelagh where Larry Murphy was caught in the act of attacking a woman and identified by two hunters.

Yes. Wonder it if there were any further confirmed sightings of her after she left the house. I remember this case featuring in an edition of Cracking Crime and something that struck me was not one member of her family appeared. Not the husband, children or any of her own family. I think the only person who knew her to speak on the programme was a neighbour.

Have heard his name mentioned in relation to it a few times. One the one hand it has Larry Murphy written all over it, but on the other hand, there are odd niggling aspects.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Andrea B.

You would think that if there was ever a good chance of the suspect's DNA on retained clothing, this would be it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭tibruit

Bailey had a premonition on Hunts hill where they stopped off on the the way home from the pub. They both referred to it in their signed statements. He also wondered aloud if there might be a party on in Alf Lyons house and of course you have to pass by Sophie`s to get to Alf`s place. When they got home, Jules says that Bailey expressed a desire to go to Alf`s and asked her to come with him. She says she wasn`t sure if he meant at that moment or at some point in the future. They both went to bed and she says she heard him get up after a bit. This is all in the statement that she signed in the presence of her legal representative. It`s reproduced in Foster`s book. Bailey also acknowledged that he got up and left the house. She didn`t see him again until the morning when he turned up with coffee and a fresh scratch on his forehead.

It is a very isolated laneway with only two houses occupied at the time. It was incredibly unfortunate for Bailey that on the night he had a bee in his bonnet to go up there, that a different violent headcase happened to go up there and murder Sophie. What are the odds?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,358 ✭✭✭Caquas

True, but if his parents, who have now been identified, are allowed to walk away scot-free (and anonymously) it would be a fittingly disgraceful end to the most notorious criminal investigation in modern Ireland.

At the very least, they should be charged with failure to register the birth. They would in that way be brought to account for their part in their baby’s brief life, if not in his horrendous death. Let them sit before a local court while a Garda witness describes the injuries which their baby suffered. If they have a defence, let’s hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Xander10

This case is hard to get your head around. Always thought it might be more than an accidental death. His clothes were never found

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭richiestokes_79_79

Sorry but I strongly disagree with you. The guards are on record stating they don’t have a suspect. The two top suspects, unstable volatile girl and a male suspect known to her and with a record of violence against women (he served time for assault), have both been cleared.

• Advertisement

That female suspect was cleared when she submitted a DNA sample. With the help of Interpol the guards tracked her to the USA. Now, the IRA connection- it’s been mentioned the commander of the IRAs “England department” (easy enough to source his name) lived close to the murder scene but I don’t know if the female suspect who was cleared is related to him. Even if she was, DNA analysis cleared her and also torpedoed the jealousy motive. Her male friend, suspect number two, has a history of violence against women. A few years prior to Raonaids murder he attacked a woman. A few years after Raonaids murder he served a prison spell for threatening to chop up a relative. He’s the suspect in the taxi with alleged blood stains on trousers. Imo, they are both innocent and the real culprit is the guy who danced with Raonaid in July ‘99 and became fixated with her. He’s described as early 20s, Sandy coloured hair, wore glasses (did when reading menu in abracadabra when with Raonaid), well spoken and piercing blue eyes. All the focus on riffraff, druggies and troublemakers in DL has allowed him to melt into the background. I’ve seen the doc ‘Rainy…it’s not bad but scientific analysis has ruled out two main suspects and the docs other suspects have long been cleared.

That female suspect was cleared due to DNA analysis ….a long long time ago

You’re right. Jim got emotive as he lives in the area and had daughters the same age as Raonaid. He even knew her to see. The Republican/RA connection is an unwanted distraction. There’s ZERO connection with the murder.

lol…funny

• Registered Users Posts: 5,842 ✭✭✭Princess Calla

Are you having a conversation with yourself or forgetting to log out and change username?

Now that's the real Irish mystery! 🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

That republican connection and the suspect related was cleared yearsssssss ago

This POI is the top suspect.

This suspect never came forward. He’s top POI. The rest of the inane discussion and focus over the years has someone allowed him to melt away….

1999….he danced with Raonaid in July …he was at a takeaway with her…her friends gave a good description…well spoken, piercing blue eyes, loop earring, early 20s, Sandy coloured hair and cream coloured combats (most lads I know opted for green/black) he wore glasses but only when reading the menu at abracadabra when he was with Raonaid. Imo he’s from the locality, possibly blackrock, he dabbled in drugs (who didn’t eh, probably bought his hash in DL) later in life med prescription for depression, possibly a stint in mental health unit, university educated (possible graduate in 2001/2) ….somewhat of a loner…

• Advertisement

Which begs the question where is this suspect today and has his background - educated and from an affluent area, helped to shield him? All speculation but with no suspect from the thousands of leads focused primarily on the DL/Glen area, he’s the suspect that interests me the most.

Lol just one account , thx

Probably lol

Who are you replying to? Are you familiar with the quote function?

Cooke was in court the week Philip went missing…

it may not count for much but I grew up around there and all the conversations over time with friends and neighbours ruled Cooke out…

I was also living close to where Trevor Deely went missing. That area at the time was a hotbed of criminal activity. Drug dealing and brothels and in some cases, murder.

Yeah more or less accurate. Don’t forget the number of brothels in the area that catered for criminals and I’m reliably informed, a number of guards. One big operation moved out and relocated to Spain.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭TheProudHighway

I think this is all happening inside your mans head! Absolutely nothing to back it all up of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭passatman86

Any one else hope for some great posts only to be let down 😂😂

@richiestokes_79_79 at least you bumped up the thread 😁👍

Advertisement