Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Helmet

Options
  • 01-08-2022 10:00am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I need a new one.

I like the flip front type. Beyond that and the Caberg one I've had up to now (it's been good) I know very little.

Advice welcome.

Budget is c.€250

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

Warning: Before you read ahead, I know I paid more than the online price.

---

If this is your first helmet, go to a store and get help with sizing it. You could buy it from there (or at the very least, try it on).

• I bought the HJC i90 recently. It is a Flip type and came with the anti-fog thing.
    • I bought it in the store as I needed it within 2 days as I found IBT dates for the same week. No time to fiddle around with searching online. (bought on a Mon for a Wed-Thu IBT)
    • I paid 260, but you may be able to get it for lesser based on your bargaining skills. Around 200 online.
    • Also, remember that a plain helmet will be cheaper than one with snazzy graphics (in the same model).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

Happy to try on if you're interested, pin lock, modular as new with sun visor, they are 275€ https://www.motorcycleshop.ie/ls2-ff900-valiant-2-180-flip-gloss-black-includes-camo-rucksack-helmet-bag-77193-p.asp

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Thanks horse 7 but I wouldn't get my fat head into a size S.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

...and down to €172 if you go for a plain Colour. I have had 2 HJC's and their sizing is usually spot on.

Normally you get a decent review of nearly any Helmet here....

https://billyscrashhelmets.co.uk/hjc-i90-a-good-value-modular-with-plenty-of-features/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,501 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Just on hjc, they aren't consistent for size between their models. It says for each model which they are.

The RPHA and any cheaper ones derived from them are a half size smaller than the rest.

An L in the i90 is 60-61cm while an L in the i70 is 59-60cm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,918 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I agree with Varik. Had HJC before which fit. Decided to order same size RPHA online and it gave me headaches. it was was tighter round the temple.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,230 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

All I said was that their sizing is usually spot on....

.....which it is.

This version of the HJC i90 looks pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 abmoto

That is what I have. Just without any stickering. if you need any info, I  would be happy to send any pictures or data.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭flashinthepan

The I 90 I have which is about 2 years old now

The slider for the sun visor has come disconnected twice there is a little cable attached to it to pull the visor down

Had to superglue it in place last time

Apart from that has been comy enough a little noisy as it is a flip up and the replacement visors seem a tad expensive for a piece of plastic

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

first off: forget buying online, unless your buying the exact same as you have already (and that you're happy with it).

The SO and I went helmet shopping last week and went to Crossan's (www.visorshop.ie), and the SO has a small head, so helmets have always been a struggle, for fit & comfort.

So, we went with a completely open mind, and I won't say a blank chequebook, but we didn't put budget on it. In my mind we were thinking up to €400 but if the only only truly & better helmet was more, we'd have stretched to it.

Richard, the helmet expert there went through every helmet make/model he thought would work: Arai, AGV, Shark, HJC etc. He changed pads, linings and all sorts of stuff.

At the end of the day, she got a (slightly) custom-fitted helmet LS2 which was the ONLY one that sat properly on her head and..............it was the cheapest. About £100 iirc. Even the mighty Arai he said was a 'wrong' fit, and would have been the wrong helmet to buy. Buy on fit, nothing else.

Anyhoo, spent all the money she had to there anyway and we ended up with jeans, gloves, etc.....

I just bought new gear for myself and I did in my local shop, and they had (almost) everything in stock, and I tried them on. The jacket I got was actually €30 cheaper than online as well, so that's a double-win imho.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Shark Evo One - got mine in Cotter's for same price as online - now on my 2nd, and it's been a good helmet.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Bought another Caberg Flip Front online.

It's an Horus Tribute. Found it at a decent price too on Louis.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭robbie_63

How do you work out the sizing when buying online do you just go same size as your other helmets?

Is there much difference between different brands?

My first and only helmet is a basic LS2 and would like to get a new one a some point.

My last helmet was also a Caberg so sizing was easy.

Yes there are fairly major differences in quality brand to brand and even model to model.

Yeah thought so, will have to organize a trip up to crossans

• Registered Users Posts: 3,701 ✭✭✭horse7

I have an LS2 valient flip up,visor earphone ready,it's brilliant.

I just have a basic LS2 "Storm" helmet, just coming up on 2 1/2 years now and its lasted well in fairness,

Will have a look at their new "carbon" versions as they don't seem too badly priced

• Advertisement

another +1 on LS2 recently, it was the ONLY helmet that fitted the SO properly, and despite rows of mega expensive helmets in the shop (Crossans), he said it was the best one for her, and he even fitted some custom helmet pads in it to tweak it - the bonus is it was the cheapest of all we looked at.

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement