Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changed grip, irons have become bad

Options
  • 29-07-2022 10:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭

so i recently changed grip to help counteract a slice of the tee. grip has become stronger, and driver is better.

as a result my irons are hooking something fierce.

this is something i will discuss at next lesson, but wondering if anyone has any initial thoughts?

when using irons, the club face is now closed so thats the issue. i guess, would you use separate grips for iron and driving play?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I’d say it’s a swing issue that was causing your slice off the tee. You shouldn’t really need two different grips. Speak to your Professional about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Usually a lesson on grip/direction change is finished with a caveat that you must come back to straighten it up.

A quick lesson on release/path will have them firing down middle. If I'm losing it to one side and get a lesson,once I start over doing it I know it's time for the second part of the process. You'll probably find after the second lesson your flight will be much better aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

I did a grip change at the start of the year, went much stronger. (Seems to be the common thing now?)

As with you, for a while was just hooking everything. Although the coach did say not too worry, that was going to happen.

But an important point in that lesson was bringing shaft lean into the equation. If you just change to a strong grip, and don't introduce any shaft lean to square the face, of course you will hook everything.

You say the club face is closed and thats the issue, you mean at impact? Because if its closed at address, either your coach didn't tell you, or you forgot to introduce shaft lean to straight the face back up.

Definitely just bring it up at your next lesson. Could also be a case your coach is building step by step. Coach I'm working with does that, as he doesnt want me focusing on anything other than the current component until its nailed and then we move on.

Advertisement