Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Marriage

Options
  • 29-07-2022 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭

My wife to be was married previously now obviously divorced..is there any chance of a church wedding or blessing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

WhatsApp the pope, revolut him €100 and get an annulment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

If she was married in a catholic church before she wont be allowed marry in a catholic church again. As for a blessing I'm not sure. Maybe try the weddings forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,938 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I assume you mean a Catholic Church. She'd have to have a Church annulment as well as the legal divorce for them to allow it. Look at the problems Henry VIII had.

You could always do it in the Unitarian Church in Stephen's Green, Dublin. Anyone can get married there.

https://www.dublinunitarianchurch.org/weddings-ceremonies/weddings/

From their wedding booklet: "In keeping with our church's liberal ethos, we place no barrier on the remarriage of divorced people, holding firmly to the principle that the conscience of the individual takes precedence over ecclesiastical regulations."

• Registered Users Posts: 20,712 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Are you going to make her a sultana.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spontindeed

I doubt it. Did you consider another church such as the Orthodox Church?

If she was previously divorced, I would be extremely careful. Remember: she will have a right to 50% equity if things don't work out. The fact that she was previously divorced is a red flag. There's always two sides to any story.

Post edited by spontindeed on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

• Registered Users Posts: 16,535 ✭✭✭✭banie01

I have raisin to doubt he's a real sultan 😮😉

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭growleaves

That's what Claire Byrne did when she found herself in OP's situation; apparently she had a full Catholic wedding arranged first which I can't understand; surely someone as bright as her would know the rules...

Another option is to contact this guy

who might be able to provide something closer to a conventional Catholic wedding, although AFAIK not an officially recognised one...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,597 ✭✭✭zg3409

Some venues offer church like settings. For example macreddin village have their own church/chapel building, so you can have a church looking building and get a male person to waffle at the front and get them to wear a dress if it helps with the show. Hotels also often have a separate area or building to make it church like with rows of seats. Many "country House hotel" type private venues have similar set up. It also helps keep the crowd at the same venue.

Typically these days you often have to go to a council building for the paperwork anyway, even with a religious wedding.

You don't mention which religion, maybe it's one that allows divorce?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,120 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's what Claire Byrne did when she found herself in OP's situation;

Claire Byrne got married to a woman who had been divorced before? Are you sure?

You don't mention which religion

When someone in Ireland says 'the church' without specifying they only ever mean

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Maybe her previous husband was a wanker, people do deserve a second chance and making assumptions is kinda a way of judging people.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭thesultan

Catholic

• Registered Users Posts: 25,730 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Was the previous wedding a church one? Is the previous spouse still alive? Do you have ANY relationship with a church or minister anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Unitarian church on Stephens green.

The Church of Ireland but can depend on the minister.

Make friends with a priest or just ask around and you most likely would get one to do a blessing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,894 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

Catholic church is a no-go.

Had this with my own family and the local priest did his best to try and find a way to accommodate even a blessing - but nope.

Protestant church maybe but one of you may have to be protestant for that to be an option.

Not sure what your options are outside that, besides a civil wedding, which can be very beautiful.And if you had a family member that was a priest or otherwise, they may do a blessing for you at that.Could be an option, if that is what you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,385 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

You dont have to be a protestant to get married in the church of Ireland but as I said a lot depends on the minister.

The unitarian church is lovely I got married there, it is a religious ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Jellybaby_1

I suggest you ask in the Christianity forum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

I think you would have to have a civil wedding and if you have a friend who is a priest you might get a blessing

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Advertisement