Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

St patricks hospital dublin

Options
  • 29-07-2022 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Would anyone know the cost for a patient to stay in St. Patricks hospital for Eating disorder treatment. Vhi won't cover it as I'm not with them long enough.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,723 ✭✭✭YellowLead

You can get a referral from your gp and then it won’t need to be self funded. Albeit waiting lists will apply.

hopefully you have discussed this with relevant support facilities to get advice that’s right for you

• Administrators Posts: 13,816 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Big Bag of Chips

St. Patrick's Hospital is a private hospital, so it does need to be paid for. A GP referral won't eliminate the cost. Most people availing of their facilities will have been referred by their GP.

There are public hospitals that you can attend, and I think in some cases the HSE might refer you to St. Patrick's. I'm not certain that this means the HSE will cover the cost.

It is a private hospital, and very expensive if you don't have health insurance. You would be talking thousands for a stay. Multiple thousands. Also for eating disorders you would be expected to stay a number of weeks, not a few days.

Speak with your GP as a first port of call. There are lots of public/community options. You are aware that you need help, you are already a step further ahead than a lot of people in your situation. Speak to your GP to find out what options are available to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Ooh1985

I've had a gp referral already and there's no other option at present.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Vital Transformation

It's going to depend on how long you're there. The longer you stay there, the more the costs like accommodation, food, all the private and group therapies etc will add up.

As another poster said, it can get extremely expensive without health insurance. I only have the figure of a family member to go on, but after a stay of around 3 months there, I heard the bill was in the 30,000+ euro range, before health insurance covered it all. Also bear in mind, that was almost 15 years ago.

I worked there 20 years ago and it was roughly €1000 a day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

I have a family member who has been in and out of St Pats over the past few years. It cost him €3k a night

You're probably talking five figures, based on what I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭sporina

• Registered Users Posts: 6,801 ✭✭✭sporina

sorry to hear you or someone you know needs this service.. St Vincent's use to have beds for EDs in the public system - not sure if they still do but might be worth asking about? Paying without insurance in Pats would be v v v €€€ as other's have said .. be good to you

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

No, its a private hospital, however when I was there as a service user (2020) there was someone who was there and her stay was funded by the HSE , however she had been in numerous public hospitals prior to this admission and was specifically there in St Pat's for ECT.

This is an exception the rest of us all had private health care. Cost approx E1000 I think per night

• Advertisement

Thanks for all the posts. Vincent's have about 3 beds apparently. It's for myself and I've been saving for this. Not enough by all accounts though as 1000 x 3 months = close on €100,000. Maybe I should call them- I do feel rather embarrassed hence I asked here first. Thanks to all that replied, I'll check out the HSE route.

Definitely ask your GP for a public referral. I'm sure there are waiting lists, but better to be on the list than not. There are also outpatient clinics and community based treatment options. I'm sure you know about www.bodywhys.ie. They might be able to advise also.

Thank you so much. I called them, its 700 a night for anyone wondering. Public referral- I'll be dead if I'd to go on it!!

Advertisement