Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New air con radiator to be fitted - can I fill the gas myself?

Options
  • 28-07-2022 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭

Hi all. Getting a new air con radiator fitted to an IX35. Mechanic does not do air con regas. Can I do this myself - with a kit?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭BlakeS94

Very easy, buy this from halfords and follow instructions, follow the AC lines from the condenser to find the low pressure port, will usually have a blue cap with an "L" on it.

Can do 3 or 4 cars with 1 bottle, and halfords will give you 10 euro back when you bring it back to them for waste.

Most important thing is the make sure your car uses R134a refrigerant. Should be a sticker around the bonnet but failing that, a quick call to your local dealer should tell you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

Thanks a mill! Was wondering if it could be done from empty rather than just a top up.

Strange that he can remove the condenser and replace it, which requires the system to be emptied, unless he is just venting it into the air. Probably doesn't have to machine to extract/fill with new air con gas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

The system is well emptied - been shot for about 3 years! This year's hot days - and not so hot - have forced me to eventually relent and get it sorted.

You'd be better off paying a garage 80 or 90 quid to do it properly from empty so

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭mk7r

Have to replace the receiver drier at the same time too. Get it done properly, the halfords kit is at best a very rough estimate and it doesn't draw a vacuum so the system will be full of moisture going forward. This is one thing that really is not for the diy

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Best go to a air con place even though it is empty it still needs to be vacuumed for about 10-15 mins before the gas is inserted, to make sure there is no moisture still in the system and clear any air pockets that got in when installing the rad.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

These bottles wont fill 3 or 4 cars - These only have 510 grams of actual gas in them despite the bottle saying 1kg - that includes the weight of the bottle. However you would get 3 or 4 tops up from a car with low air con but from memory the ix35 has 550 grams of gas and another 100 grams of oil in them so the op will probably need 2 bottles at 66 a pop plus the guage which is another 32 euros.. A good air con place will fill with r134s which the ix35 takes for 120-150.

Fair enough, I only know the basics with Air con systems so I'd be talking out my ring trying to advise any deeper than what I've said (which was incorrect anyway)

Would those air con recharge bottles even fill from empty since you can't pull a vacuum, or are they purely just for top ups.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

You can get away with them if you use enough.2 bottles will usually do most cars from empty with a bit left for top ups.

• Advertisement
Advertisement