Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proposed Consent Laws breach EU Treaties?

Options
  • 27-07-2022 8:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

Question: The Justice Minister's bill on 'Consent, knowledge and belief in rape cases' seems overly-broad. Doesn't this turn the "innocent until proven guilty" concept on its head? If so, besides petitioning the European Commission and European Parliament, is there any way to challenge the legality of this bill in the European Courts without having to be referred to the ECJ by an Irish Judge? The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) seems like the most obvious route?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 jetz2003

I know a European Lawyer based here and he specializes in EU Treaty law. He previously represented the European Commission during legal infringement proceedings against other EU member states. If you want, PM me to put you in touch with him. I am aware that the EU is concerned about this consent law, I myself brought it to their attention today. The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) has to be petitioned first before they agree to consider a case, and it has to on grounds of European Law. It cannot be used as a test case against the Irish law but rather as a breach of EU human rights law.

The ECtHR has convicted the Irish State on several occasions and ordered the Irish Government to pay significant compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭BENDYBINN

Any man with half a brain will stay well away from an intoxicated woman from now on.

It's either drink or loving now ladies... You can't have both. Night clubs are doomed

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I'm deeply confused about whether this is supposed to be against EU law or against the European Convention on Human Rights, which is the only thing the ECtHR can rule on.

Advertisement