Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chipping Yips

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭trigger26

Had the yips on chips last year, bloody horrible, hitting irons in praying they'd be on green, it doesn't help the enjoyment of game at all.

I got a lesson and he said to concentrate on getting chest towards target on chips, that encourages big muscles to take over rather than hands, arms. I'd like to say that fixed it very quickly but then it was chipping 30-60 balls a day every day for months and forcing myself to use the chest idea on course in times when going well. Skulled a few early but eventually started to come round and now it's something in back of mind. I use only 3 clubs for chipping, 9 iron, 54 and 58. I'll use the 9 where I can mostly.

I'm still not best chipper but at least I'm giving myself chances now to make a putt, the ground is so hard at the mo it's tricky to judge distances, best of luck with this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thats great advice. The less one thinks about hands when chipping the better. I focus on the above. Bit also rotating away a little on the backswing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭boccy23

• Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭AyeGer

I had the chipping yips for a couple of years. I found placing the ball in the middle of the stance and chipping mainly with body turn helped. I am using the bounce more now and use the forgiving CBX wedges.

My chipping anxiety was causing me to put the ball further and further back in the stance and to dip into the chips often swaying into the chip too. I changed the mindset to lower my expectations initially, I started just being happy to make solid contact and get it on the green, as I was duffing chips so regularly. As I grew confidence that I wasn’t going to duff it I began to get better.

Id still reach for a 9i before a high lofted flop shot if possible. I try to only use the SW or LW when it is genuinely required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭billy3sheets

I think @copacetic was the only one to mention spin in this thread.

Personally I don't place much emphasis on getting spin. I just aim for a landing spot and judge the roll out to the pin. I could use literally any iron in the bag for chipping.

Do others feel it's a big part of chipping? Something that needs to be practiced and perfected or just for the better golfer?@casio4

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I bought one. 42-degree version. It's so easy it's ridiculous. Even when you mishit them a little they still go near the hole. I chipped in TWICE my first round using it.

I know people talk about technique being king.....and they are right. But it takes a lot of time to master chipping. Even some pro's are terrible at it and that should tell you everything you need to know. Most people don't have the time to practice every day. Sometimes technology trumps proper form.

I consider myself decent with my 60 degree but the bottom line is that the margin for error is pretty big. If you make a mess of it and fat it 3 feet in front of you or hosel it through the green.....you are going to pay massively. This thing is just like a putter with loft. It's pretty hard to mess up with it.

It might look like an odd club but I can't recommend it enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

I think it's the cherry on top. If you're a good chipper chances are you're acceleration through the ball. Acceleration and a good strike create spin. But anyone struggling with chipping shouldn't be worring about spin, I'd get be looking at getting the ball on the ground as early as possible and let it run out.

Post edited by BoardsMember on

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭greyc

Thanks again for all the comments and suggestions. I had a chipping lesson last week and so far having played 3 rounds since, my chipping has definitely improved, though I’d say I’ve a fair bit to go before I really feel comfortable.

Basically he said the main problem was not having my weight far enough forward. I always thought I had it a lot on my left side, but it was only my bottom half, my spine angle was tilted too far back.

Funnily enough I found the biggest improvement was with my lob wedge, whereas I’m still more likely to skull the ball through the green when faced with a basic chip and run using a 9 iron or PW.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,088 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Really all that matters when chipping is the low point of your swing, this is typically between your sternum and your left pec (for right handed golfers)

Get this at worst over the ball and you can use a multitude of techniques from hinge and hold, to flipping the wrists, depending on preference and lie.

And its the same for chips, pitches, flops and bunkers. Find your low point and that's where you want the ball/sand to be, anything else means you are moving and manipulating which you dont really want on these short swings/shots.

Advertisement