Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I Insure two cars?

Options
  • 26-07-2022 10:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭

I'm a single mom and hoping to upgrade my car soon.

My 18 year old daughter is insured on my current car. I'm hoping to hold onto the older car as a runaround car for her when she passes her test. Can I Insure both my new car and old car, keeping her on the older one? Can I simply cancel the older car insurance whenever? It will be handy having two cars.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭standardg60

You can but you cannot use your current NCB on the new car, you will in effect be starting anew as if you never had insurance before

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Cal04

Oh wow!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭phormium

The loss of the NCB on second car is not the main issue really, you should not insure a car in your name where your daughter is the main driver, insurance companies call that 'fronting' and I would be concerned about the implications should anything happen!

It would be better to take the hit financially and insure the car in her name.

From Citizens Info site:

Young Drivers

If you are a young driver, you should consider joining a parent's insurance policy as a named driver. This will enable you to establish a safety record and may reduce the cost of your premium in the future. Some companies offer discounts to young people seeking insurance in their own name if they have been a named driver.

However, you must not engage in the practice of ‘fronting’; that is, where the main driver of a vehicle (typically a son or daughter) declares a more experienced driver as the main driver (usually a parent) to reduce the cost of their insurance premium. Fronting is illegal and can result in the cancellation of your motor insurance policy or a fraud conviction

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭asdfg87

I remember a few years ago and i can check but i think it was Aviva, if a person does all the driving lessons throughj Aviva and passes test there are good rates available for drivers starting out.

Wasn't with aviva unfortunately

• Advertisement

She is due to sit test in two weeks.

Will I have to wait to Insure newer car until after she sits test in older car? Won't be keeping on older car now.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, you will have a challenge convincing your insurance that your daughter is only an 'occasional' user of the original car. A person insuring two cars is allowed but I can see raised eyebrows when an 18 year old is proposed as a named driver for one of them. Even a blind man can see that she will be the principal driver of that car so I can't see them allowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Louise A. Garcia

A year ago, I struggled with a similar situation. I wanted to cancel one of my car insurance policies and switch to another and one more policy with this. I tried to gather information from various people. Finally, I got a reasonable remedy from an auto insurance broker (https://www.standardinsurance.ca/locations/thunder-bay/) near my city. In my opinion, it is better to consult an insurance broker. They know the current changes and loopholes in the market, so they can quickly advise you on the right choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,599 ✭✭✭zg3409

Firstly cars are expensive and your daughter should avoid getting a car as long as she can. Getting the test and named experience is great, but if your daughter wants a car she should pay for it. The main cost will be insurance.

First get the rest.

Second delay as long as possible as cars are expensive.

Third find out the types of car that give low insurance quotes such as less than 10 years old, very small 1.0L engines.

Ring around and get real insurance quotes based on the actual registration of the car you intend to buy before you buy it.

Don't buy anything too fancy as high chance it will be crashed in first few years.

Then buy the car but beware insurance could be 3,500 euro +tax +fuel + repairs + servicing. Depreciation of value of car can be 2000+ per year. If you buy right car insurance could be less than 1000 in year one and depreciation could be 500 per year. Insurance will go down in year two and 3 if you shop around.

Advertisement