Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC SecurecComm is unable to communicate with the system

Options
  • 26-07-2022 9:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 39

Hi,

I've read through the last 15 HKC threads but none have touched in detail on the below. Hoping you can help (My alarm installer isn't that technical).

My broadband connects into a vodafone modem. This modem (router is turned off) is set to pass the internet through to my Orbi Mesh router which handles all of the devices connected to my network. DHCP is used throughout.

Issue:

I constantly get an error that my hkc panel is unable to communicate with the system. I can see that it is connected in my Orbi's router admin console. I see the IP address but 95% of the time I get the error message above.

Things I've tried:

• I've tried to open port 50001 even though I don't have an active firewall.
    • I've tried to use a static IP address in the hkc panel (I have access to the engineer settings), I have since re-enabled DHCP.
    • When I disconnect the wifi and connect it again, the app works for a short while until I get a notification again that it can't communicate.

I think the app doesn't like the fact that the modem is passing the internet through to another router which handles DHCP but I really have no idea why.

Would love to get some further ideas please.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

So the unit is connecting, ports are not the issue if you have access over the app.

For some reason its disconnecting, any IP clashes?

Have you tried setting up a guest network on the Orbi's router and just connecting Securecomm WIFI to this?

Failing this can you enable a guest network on the vodafone router and try the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 n3lly

Apologies Altor,

I never got an email notification that I had received a response.

My IOS app is not connecting to the system. If I switch off the comms in the engineering settings and reconnect the Wi-Fi it works for a few hours and then stops working again.

I’ve tried using a static IP. 192.168.1.100 and assigned it in the panel and on the router but no luck there either.

I’ll try your idea with a guest network and let you know how I get on.

Thanks again and apologies for the slow reply.

Nelly

Hi,

I set up the guest network yesterday. Connected the HKC box to it and as expected things worked! Thought this time might be different but just got a notification on my app that the connection has been lost.

So I got around 14 hours of up time and then the connection dropped again.

Sorry I meant to say, I have the Wi-Fi turned off on the Vodafone modem as I don’t want the DHCP conflicting on it with the router on the Netgear Orbi unit. The Vodafone modem simply passes the broadband through to the Orbi which handles everything.

Very strange all together.

Nelly

It is connecting to Securecomm, which you have tested, and then disconnects so the next option is to contact the service provider (Orbi) and see if they can see something on their system.

Hmmm

Orbi (Netgear) are just a router manufacturer. They won’t ‘see’ anything on their side and will most likely point me to the logs.

Thanks again for the suggestions. Seems to be connecting again so I’ll keep an eye on how often the connection is lost via the app.

Cheers

• Advertisement

At lease it is connecting.

I was more so point you to them to see if they could see any reason for the disconnection of the device from the network.

Thanks Altor,

Unfortunately it’s still only connecting at random. Feels like a waste of money paying 60 quid a year for an intermittent service. Might try and swap out the GSM / Wi-Fi for a Lan card for a better connection.

Thanks again.

That is a strange one as it should just connect using the Wi-Fi.

Yes, LAN card might be the only option.

Advertisement