Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ever had weird or horrible housemates?

Options
  • 23-07-2022 8:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

Have you ever had any weird or horrible housemates?

My landlord moved herself into the spare house in her house before and it wasn't long before she moved in her parents. They didn't speak any English and were always in the kitchen cooking at all hours. I think they were retired so didn't have much else to do.

My current landlord sublets all the rooms in the house and lives on her couch. Lovely woman that needs the cash but its months at this stage and she doesn't seem to miss her bed that much.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,070 ✭✭✭Be right back

^^ Her back must be in bits.. Weird work colleagues rather than housemates...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,863 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

When I lived in France I had digs, everyone was sound and considerate… until two thirds through the stay friends from Wexford arrived who were a little erm, backward.

A summer with nothing wrong or out of place, Then… suddenly….

food and cutlery was going missing from the fridge in the communal kitchen.

Cds that were stacked by the CD player in said kitchen went awol and one of those CDs was heard blaring from one of their rooms weeks later.. ended up being slung out.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,049 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

How does that work when ye want to go into the sitting room?

Where does she store her clothes etc?

One housemate stands out for me..a Wexford teacher I shared with. She thought our landlord would pay to replace blown light bulbs and reimburse her for putting up a plastic door hook for her dressing gown 🙉

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭BaywatchHQ

I used to have to share a flat with normies 10 years ago when I was at university. It was a very bad experience, for some reason I kept getting the blame for leaving out unwashed dishes even though they weren't mine.

I was considered the "weird" housemate due to being a socially awkward autist but I never caused them any harm. In my other year at university I shared with Arabs so that suited me better as they didn't gang up to bully me.

I live with parents now and I wouldn't have it any other way, men like me have no place in a flat share due to the bullying we receive. I would never want to go back to that situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Lived with a lad who appeared sound at first, but very quickly got bad vibes. This was early 2000's. He managed to put upgraded Internet in my name (worked in the company), never paid the electricity, in his name, we got cut off.

Every pay cheque he'd blow it within the day on stuff like suits or aftershave.

The best/worst one he convinced women he was on an experimental male pill that was pretty much ready for market. Pregnancies and chlamydia followed.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

I lived with more weirdos and scumbags than I care to remember. Thank Christ those days are over. I really feel for anyone in their 40s and 50s that have to house share.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

I was the strange or weird housemate, used to grow seedlings on the window sills, tomatoes and lettuce.

I feel asleep on the couch watching the smurfs when I lived in glasheen in Cork in the early 90's , the chip pan went up in flame's and I ended up burning the kitchen down.

Another time I blocked the toilet and didn't realize what I did, the other guy flushed it and it went all over the bathroom. Poor bastard was cleaning it up and apologized profusely. I was only a young buck and hadn't the decency to help him.

Although he said he'd do a wash for us both and threw in washing up liquid and ruined my ben sherman, shirt so I suppose karma got me back.

There was a stoner from Offaly his room was like a rastafarian party a few nights a week, he dragged home more dregs than any of us

So yep I was probably a bit weird, but I got on well with housemates. More of an idiot than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭YellowLead

More fool younger me. Disappear every year or so for a while and then if we happen to meet up, it's like nothing ever happened. Got very short shrift

Edit: he was very charming and convincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭global23214124

We have a balcony where we can eat sometimes or hangout. It's grand during the day as she'd be at work or doing something outside the house. Can't really use it much in the evenings though. She keeps her clothes in a dresser and some cabinets.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

oh where do i start - the memories raise my blood pressure

had a self entitled spoilt brat b1tch who never washed up after herself - lost the head with her over it and she tried to twist it that i was the bad guy -picking on her, always late with the bill payments too and when she finally coughed up it would be in lose change just to spite me😣

had another b1tch who insisted on watching every episode of Eastenders on the main Sitting-room TV even though she a had a portable TV in her bedroom, anytime anyone would so much as suggest watching something else she would fly off the handle🙄 she would also spike up the lecky bills by using the washing machine & tumble dryer for 'one' work-shirt 'oh it has to be spotless'

and before i'm accused of being sexist - had a b@llocks of a guy who started shaggin one of the quiet girls (who he didn't fancy) with the intention of getting her bedroom for his brother, so low & behold one morning we discover his toerag brother was our new housemate😑 and if any of us squealed to the landlord we'd get our heads smashed in, and after a few weeks when his brother became an established member of the household he dumped the girl and she had to sleep on the communal couch until she found somewhere else😔 nasty piece of work he was

oh the joys of house sharing, its a lottery isn't it

Post edited by fryup on

• Registered Users Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭YellowLead

How did that come about? Did the girl he was riding give up her own room to move in with the prick to his room?

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭global23214124

She doesn't seem that bad but yeah it can't be good for the mental health in the long run.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

yep, even though i forewarned her not to get involved with him, but she was young & naive (and more than likely a virgin) who was charmed that some guy took an interest in her..she couldn't see what was happening in front of her face that the prick was just playing her😑

I wouldn't blame her. He was just a prick.

Seen it happen before. I was too naive to realise. Horrible situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,138 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

My first year in college, I was in digs. One of the guys who also lived there was a bit of a nutjob. Started telling people he had cancer, borrowed loads of money off people. After a while his lies started falling apart. He thought I was the one talking against him. One night about three am he burst into my room, switched on the light, woke me up and stood over my bed with a knife threatening me. He kept telling me not to say lies about him. I kept saying "I don't know what you're talking about". I was being completely honest. I hadn't said a thing about him. Eventually he left saying I shouldn't talk about him. two weeks later he got kicked out for not paying rent.

I'd heard from someone from the same town (Ballinasloe) that he went home and could be seen wandering around the town.

Weird thing is, it was 20 years ago and I can't actually remember his name now.

Advertisement