Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World Handicap System Question

Options
  • 22-07-2022 10:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, if anyone could answer a question that I have about the world handicap system, I would really appreciate it. If I play a 4 ball competition(I am aware that a playing in a 4 ball competition won’t effect my handicap) and I were then to play in a singles competition later in the same day, will my score in the singles competition count as a counting score in the 20 scores that determine my handicap or will it not count as I have already played a 4 ball competition that day?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭plumber77

I'm pretty sure the singles will be a counting score. I dont see any reason it shouldn't be

• Registered Users Posts: 3 dharry

That’s great. Thank you for the response.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭OEP

If they're on the same course, you can't play in the singles after playing the 4 ball.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Could declare a counting round?

I’d imagine if the score was submitted then it would count towards the WHS calculations.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Wouldnt be able to play a competition, but the software won't stop him from playing a counting round

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭Golfgraffix

It’s a funny one. General play rounds are based on stroke play, you cannot practise on the course before a stroke play round. So although the software would let you I THINK 🤔 it shouldn’t be done.

Open to correction on this

@dharry

So to answer your original question

1. Yes, you can play a counting round for your handicap as the software won't stop you as it will have had no idea you played in a fourball in the morning. How you feel about this is between you and your God, or whoever manages your internal thoughts/morals lol 🤐

2. No, you can't play in the competition unless, the fourball and the singles comp are off different tees. If you played the fourball off the yellows and the singles of the whites "for example", then you can play the comp as technically it's off different tees and therefore it's a different course.

3. If you want to play the competition and to be safe about everything, contact your competitions/handicaps committee before you do anything. They may allow you to play the competition after the fourball as a special dispensary thing, which clubs are allowed to do on a local level if they wish. Handicaps committee will also tell you if you're round can be eligible or not.

4. I think despite everything else said above you should be allowed play for your handicap if you wish. If you take low level amateur tournaments, they routinely play 2 rounds in the one day on the same course, same tees, same pins, etc and both rounds count for your handicap. No reason in the world why someone couldnt play a casual counting round in the evening after having played the same course in the morning. You could just as easily do shite in the afternoon despite having played the course in the morning 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

On a different tack anyone ever seen a P on someone’s handicap record? Like against a score on their record there’s a small p on the screen

P is a penalty score for not returning a card after declaring an intent to put a general play card in.

checked with a rules official I know and you cannot play a general play round on the same course after a matchplay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 dharry

Thank you all for the replies. Sorry, I should have a mentioned the following. The 4 ball competition that I intend on playing in the morning is on a different golf course to the golf course that I intend on playing the singles competition on in the afternoon. Since I wouldn’t have been on the golf course prior to playing in the afternoon that I intend on playing, does that make it okay to play the singles competition and have a counting score towards my handicap having played a 4 ball competition that morning on a different golf course?

Cheers

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 5,249 ✭✭✭slingerz

Any reason why a score wouldn’t appear straight away on your golf Ireland? Entered a score after a scratch cup today but no sign of it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭paulos53

The club you played in need to upload the score to Golf Ireland. Not all clubs have their software setup to upload the scores immediately.

It is quite common in my club to not see a score on my record until the next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭CFG92

What club was it? If they use Handicap Master and the comp is accidentally configured as a non-qualifier, the scores won't upload to Golf Ireland straight away as they should.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Jimbee

I have noticed a lot of handicap discrepancies playing open competition. Howdidido seem to give away players extra shots, maybe it's because the club are not updating the software. Also I have seen guys not hand in cards and getting 118 strokes. Could this be a reason the WHS is not working a well as it should?

No one is going to chase an away player for not returning a card.

It honestly doesn't bother me but I have noticed these thing happening and it's not being picked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I see for 2023’s Interclub competitions, to be eligible you’ll have to have at least 20 rounds completed on your Golf Ireland, which is only fair

• Registered Users Posts: 8,466 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

They've set it at 10 rounds in my place for Captains eligibility.

Think it should be 20 to be honest as there is still lot of swinging that can happen with less than 20 on a record

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kennethrhcp

anything said on if it's lowest HI throughout 2022 or HI at 31st Dec 2022 to be used in 2023's interclub? (apologies if I missed it)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

That's not a bad rule, whether 10 or 20. As long as it's just the top prize they're ineligible for. I wouldn't like to see them not able to take part in the day.

It'll only stop honest winners with inappropriate handicaps though. The couple of stories I heard of fellas gaming the system for a high handicap were lads who were members for years. The same lads who were at it under Congu, just not as effectively.

• Advertisement

Yes, that's it in our place, just not eligible for top prize.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

20 is quite high, I would not have had 20rounds even played by the time of our Captains, then again I'm a snow bird when it comes to golf over the bad weather

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

Ah here Slave, you've probably played 20 rounds in the last 2 weeks 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭big_drive

Could anyone explain in simple language what the terms Hard cap and Soft cap relate to, or how they're used, etc.

I've seen the terms but not 100% on how they work or are used

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,783 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭blue note

I assume it's 10 on your record, not 10 that year.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭Hallowed

Does anyone know how to use your index when playing outside of Ireland

Someone like Seve might be able to explain better but I think that once your handicap goes up by 3 from your low index in a rolling year you reach the soft cap.

From that point on the amount your handicap can go up from bad rounds is halved (so if you should go up by 0.4, you'll only go up by 0.2) until you reach a hard cap on 5, and your handicap can't go up by more than that in a year.

Re playing abroad, you can't do it in the app. But you can use your index and the slope at a course to calc your course handicap for the round. If you keep your cards you could then give them to your handicap sec and they can load them onto your handicap record. I'm pretty sure that's how it works?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

It works the exact same way doesn’t it? That’s the benefit if I remember right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

So lets say your low index is 10

Now your soft cap will be 13 and hard cap is 15

So if you're calculated handicap index is 12, then your handicap index is 12

If you're calculated handicap index is 14, it will be 13.5 = 13 + 0.5 * (14-13)

If you're calculated handicap index is 16, it will be 14.5 = 13 + 0.5 * (16-13)

If it is above 17 then it will be 15

Advertisement