Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

paediatric dermatology for a 4 month old on private health insurance

Options
  • 20-07-2022 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭

hi all,

Not sure where to post this, apologies if this is the wrong thread!

We are looking for a paediatric dermatologist for our 4 month old.

We have been reffered by our GP to crumlin childrens hospital only to find there is a 5 year waiting list! yes you read that right!

Our child has had the mark on his head since birth.

He had a follow on check up in the coombe at 6 weeks and we were told not to worry about it but that they would put us on the waiting list to see a dermatologist, however if the mark grows or changes in colour we should give our GP a shout.

Well, the mark has grown and gone a dark brown with a depression under the mark.

We said this to the developmental nurse who agreed we should now contact the GP.

We have VHI.

So we did contact the GP and he gave us a referral letter for the Beacon kids department.

I phoned the beacon kids department and they do not have a kids dermatology department.

I phoned Crumlin to explain the situation.

Crumlin said to get GP to send in new referral saying mark has changed shape, via health link. Crumlin confirmed its a 5 year waiting list. The helpful fella in Crumlin also gave me two doctors names that he knew of that do pediatric dermatology: Prof Alan Irvine in the hermitage and Dr Fiona Browne in temple street.

So i emailed GP and they sent referral over to Crumlin via health link to hopefully get us bumped up the list.

I then contacted Prof Alan Irvine in the hermitage and his department confirmed prof Irvine does not see children under 12 in private practice.

I've emailed Dr Fiona Brownes dept, but haven't heard anything back yet but its only been a couple of days.

I then contacted VHI to get them to tell me who does Paediatric Dermatology in Ireland but they said they cant recommend anyone.

The ladies i spoke to explained you have to go onto the website and try and find it from a drop down menu there.

So they talked me through it and there doesnt seem to be anyone listed for Pediatric dermatology in Ireland even though the above Doctors mentioned do Private practice!!

So what I'm trying to find out is has anyone experience in this and can they recommend a Pediatric dermatologist in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 lh1964

Try Dr Asad Salim Hermitage

• Registered Users Posts: 10,127 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Deeec

I would just take the baby to a dermatologist - they should be able to help you or refer you onto a paediatric consultant if needs be. I hope your little one gets seen soon.

Problem is to see the dermatologist I need a referral which I got but the GP doesn’t know who the paediatric dermatologists are!

It’s a crazy setup.

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Madeoface

Been through a lot with dermatology with small kid, now 8+. What's the actual issue? Saw some of those consultants too. Gp's usually fact free for rare stuff, if it's rare, rather than cosmetic.

Strawberry mark/ stork mark? They fade, we have another one with that and it was very large originally. Pure cosmetic. Faded significantly now at 10. Have other kid with more serious stuff, very much in the rare category.

If its ur first kid, u could probably relax and wait. (Not meant to insult u op, just my personal experience talking, been on lists etc). Pm if u want.

• Advertisement

If I was in your position I would just take the baby to a regular dermatologist for advice - they will refer you onto a paediatric dermatologist if needs be. A regular dermatologist is probably all you need.

Hi madeoface, no offence taken at all!!

Hes our third so we are fairly relaxed about it all but I am still in awe of how disjointed our health system is and how much onus is put on the parents to do the leg room!

Anyway, the only thing concerning us is the fact is has changed shape and colour since he was born combined with the “dent” directly underneath the mark.

This mark is on the top of his head right of centre when you look at his face.

The clinical diagnosis from the GP is “ pigmented skin legion on the vertex”

The developmental nurse commented on it aswell as the gp.

The little fella is so good aside from this issue which isn’t bothering him at all! 7 or 8 hours sleep a night, very aware, non stop smiling etc, so we aren’t too worried but would still like to box this off.

Will a regular dermatologist see a 4 month old and be qualified and confident enough to make a clinical decision on a 4 month old? Also would we need another referral letter to see a regular dermatologist?

I bought my baby who had excema to a dermatologist at 6 months old and they were happy to treat her. I don't see why they wouldn't see your baby. They can refer you on if needs be. You will get an appointment with a private dermatologist very quickly and it should set your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

You can try: https://www.irishdermatologists.ie/find_a_dermatologist

Beacon Kids is part of Beacon Hospital and does not do kids derm but there is an unrelated clinic in the same building: http://www.beacondermatology.ie/paediatric_derma.html

• Advertisement

Further update:

my wife contacted her dermatologist and she said said she couldn’t see the little fella until he’s two. So that’s 1 year and 8 months away which is the best offer yet!!

Dr fiona Brownes secretary got back and said she is no longer taking referrals and to try:

•prof Alan Irvine (who I have tried and he doesn’t see children under 12 in private practice)

• Dr salim in the hermitage but he only sees children 12 years and up in private practice.

My GP has sent an urgent referral to the private clinic in Crumlin to see if that makes a difference.

Dr Geraldine Morrow - The Northbrook Clinic

This is the dermatologist who treated my daughter. At the time though she was offering private consultations in Mount Carmel. We found her very good. She may be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

My son saw a Mr Brice Antao in the Beacon at 5 months old for a skin mark.

He's not listed as a dermatologist however could be worth a try as my son was definitely a dermatology referral.

What a frustrating experience for you. Hope you get sorted soon!

Hi jellybear, I’ve looked him up and the problem is the consultants in the beacon don’t seem to have individual emails- all emails seem to go back to the department that have already told me they don’t do paediatric dermatology- which is quite frustrating!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭jellybear

@tom1ie That really is so frustrating for you. I really hope your little boy gets an appointment soon. Terrible that you have to chase this up so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

This is a stressful and frustrating scenario that so many people face. We often think that politicians know all about this and that they are getting complaints about it all the time but that's not true. Usually people are focused on getting their health sorted and they are too exhausted/worried to think about contacting a TD or Minister. Afterwards we just want to put the whole thing behind us.

If everyone reading this thread took 5 minutes to email their local TDs and copy in the Minister for Health & Taoiseach it would make a difference. It's what we need to do every time we come across something like this in healthcare.

We shouldn't have to complain, but if we don't then our politicians won't prioritise it and it will get worse.

Do you know what that’s a great idea.

I will do this now and contact the local TDS and health minister over the weekend.

Thanks for that suggestion.

Further update.

Just off the phone to Crumlin private and they don’t have a paediatric dermatology service available on the private.

I am awaiting a response from Deecs suggestion in the Northbrook clinic.

So Dr Geraldine Morrow is out of action for an unspecified time.

I have been on the IAD (Irish association of dermatologists) and have three more names which I will try on Monday.

After that there are a few more names but the paediatric dermatologists are based in Belfast. Could be heading there yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Rose90

Hi,

I was wondering if you found any paediatric dermatologist? I am exactly in the same situation and very worried. Privately no one seems to be seeing kids under 12 and send back the referrals. Kindly let me know if you had any luck somewhere.

Hi rose,

yeah I eventually found a Dr Asad Salim (recommended by a poster on here) in the hermitage.

I emailed his secretary and attached the urgent GP referral and I got my son seen within 4 weeks.

I also still have my son on the waiting list for Crumlin and we will be seen there in March 2023.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭VB

Having a similar experience myself and just wanted to add an update in case its of use to anyone else. Dr Salim in Hermitage advised it would be Feb at earliest for an appointment (5 months) (non urgent case) and I'm still not sure if my son will actually get an appointment as the referral is in a while and no word back.

The situation detailed above is still the exact same (wish I had seen this thread before making all the calls); Temple St private clinic not taking on any new patients, Dr Irvine not seeing under 12s in Hermitage, Beacon for kids - no dermatologist, Dr Browne - full etc.

System is a joke and will definitely be 'writing a strongly worded letter' to TDs/minister for health. I will also try some adult dermatologists in the interim to see if anyone will see my son, will update if I end up going that route.

Thanks to above posters for the info!

Yeah no problem.

What really annoys me is I’m told it’s a 5 year waiting list to see doctor A in the public system however if I’m willing to pay €250 I can see doctor A in a few weeks in a different hospital.

This is at the crux of the problem IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eire girl

Hi, I was wondering if you could share how you found Dr Salim please? We're on his list, for a LO with ASD, so he'd need to be patient and go slow at the appointment to allow for sensory issues... Is he that kind of doctor? Thanks a mill

Well I was in and out within 10mins as I recall and there wasn’t really too much back and forth between myself and the good doc.

Most important thing is he gave us the all clear and put us down for a follow up.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Eire girl

So he doesn't give a huge amount of time to go over anything other than the main complaint? Was he pleasant? Or one of those "I'm the doc, I know best" types? Thanks

Advertisement