Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halloween Ends

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,831 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Ok Halloween kills wasn't great....but that music still sends chills down my spine...I will be there opening night!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,900 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Awesome. The previous film had the most brutal killings.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Final trailer:

Less than 2 weeks until release. Thank God! It's the only film I'm looking forward to this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭JKerova1

Why are they bastardising the original film with all these terrible sequels? Halloween 2018 was nothing poor than a piss poor remake. The only redeeming feature was the Carpenter score. Didn't even bother watching Halloween Kills and have no intention of seeing this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

Yep and seemingly this is the end for this story to speak....but the rights will be going back to Akkad (well the controller's of his estate)..there will be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

The 2018 movie was sort of OK but I thought Halloween Kills was absolutely awful, completely brain-dead plot and script - the whole movie is little more than violence for the sake of violence.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I feel like the second one could have been good when the characters start organising themselves but then split off into tiny groups. There's some unforgiveable choreography at the end where they're all beating Michael and he just gets up and they all die.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Kills is awful, but shite Halloween sequels are nothing new. They've been churning them out every few years since the 80s. The number of 'bad' Halloween films outnumbers the number of 'good' ones by somewhere in the region of 5-10:1 (allowing for some subjectivity there).

The original aside, are any of them any good? I see that H20 is on Netflix now.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Depends on your parameters of 'good' :P Most of them are completely ignorable to terrible.

As discussed in the 'what have you watched...' thread yesterday, I do think Halloween III is worth watching. It barely has anything to do with the original outside of some in-jokes and nods, as it tried to do a 'creepy stories set around Halloween' anthology series thing rather than another Michael Myers misadventure. It's not Carpenter level or anything, but it is strange and compelling in its own distinctive way. It was a more interesting direction to take the series that unfortunately was reviled at the time, but its reputation has grown in recent times.

Halloween 2 (1981) is fine but you're already very much into vastly diminishing returns. Halloween 2 (2009) has a growing cult following in recent years, but I need to rewatch it.

I only watched H20 the other night. It's not good - just (re)watch Scream instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭bad2thebone

What's needed is an out and out Samhain movie. Bringing in Irish folklore and shape shifters, banshee, an ancient nefarious realm or dimension opening up in some rural location in the west of Ireland, a fantasy/horror movie.

Something that blow's your usual satanic stuff out of the depths of hell.

Fallen angels reaking havoc somewhere and some pagan warlock and Catholic priest have to work together to close the entrance to the gateway , and have a sequel....a story line.

Our folklore and superstition hasn't been brought to the forefront in a big way yet.

The world needs to see what our superstitious past is capable of doing in the present.

I watched Halloween 2 recently. It wasn't as good as I remember. Donald Pleasance mangling the pronounciation of "Samhain" didn't help. Decent but I think "diminishing returns" is apt. Never seen III. Might give it a go.

H. H. Asquith

I really enjoyed the 2018 remake and while Kills was flawed (especially the hospital scenes and "Evil Dies Tonight!"), it had some very memorable bits in it. It was also hamstrung by being the middle part of a trilogy, but it did give us the most brutal Michael Myers yet (in this timeline: I don't count that Rob Zombie garbage). I'm looking forward to Ends because they have taken a few chances with it, jumping ahead four years after Kills, and introducing a copycat killer. Hopefully it'll be more like the 2018 movie than Kills. Again it's directed by David Gordon Green and written by him and Danny McBride; they were responsible for one of my favourite tv shows, Eastbound and Down, so I'm hopeful they can pull it out of the bag with this (although they both have made their share of clunkers). DGG is also doing a new Exorcist trilogy and Hellraiser TV show. He seems to he the new king of horror, at Blumhouse anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

'Halloween II' is a relatively decent sequel and, frankly, that's where I leave the series these days. But, honestly, I probably have a soft spot for it because I remember seeing it on TV when I was small. 'Halloween III' can be enjoyed for what it is, as it has nothing to do with the Mickey Myers show. But in its own right is quite entertaining.

As for 'Halloween Ends', I cannot imagine that it will be much cop TBH. 'Halloween Kills' was dreadful and I don't imagine that the next one can up the game.

I went through every film last October in the run up to seeing 'Halloween Kills' and my god was that a bit of a slog, because most of the entries run the gamut of poor to outright awful. There's certainly a few bad sequels in the Friday series and the Nightmare series too, but Halloween suffers particularly from poor efforts overshadowing the good ones. Plus it has that awful "pick a timeline" going on as well, which only serves to confuse matters.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I enjoyed Halloween (2018) quite a lot, it was an enjoyable reboot of the series that got a lot of things right. Halloween Kills was fairly awful though, a huge step down in quality so I honestly have no idea how Kills will turn out. Hopefully they can pull it out of the bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Just saw a review on youtube

He reckoned it was horrible, and he liked the first two

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

Halloween 2018, Halloween 4 and Halloween 2 are the best of the sequels, probably in that order. H20 is alright too when it isn't weighted down by it's late 90's horror vibe, at least the 2nd half which delivers a reasonably solid Michael/Laurie showdown.

Kills was an absolute abomination. And so bad that it completely destroyed my hope for the series after H2018, and I went ahead and read the full plot for Ends a few weeks ago. Awful in a different way. Very clear that there was absolutely no plan set out for these because Ends tries to walk back the supernatural, unkillable, undefeatable element quite hard. They walked themselves into a complete narrative dead end with the end of Kills. Ends is clearly poised to have Laurie and Michael having their 'final' 1v1 showdown - but in the previous movie have him take on 40 people with literal ease, it kind of destroys the immersion in the 1v1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭thinkabouit

Am I the only person who enjoyed kills? Thought it was grand.

Looking forward to"Ends"

I liked Kills. Sure, it had ridiculous and annoying moments (as one would expect from a slasher sequel), but I think they at least tried a few new things, plus it gave us a great Michael and lots of memorable scenes/kills (the '78 flashback being a highlight). Scariest moments for me were when Michael pursued Lindsay - a well-executed, stalking scene - plus when a maskless, but out of focus, Michael walked after Karen. Chilling :)

Can't wait for Ends but I won't get to see it until next week, so have to avoid reviews/spoilers until then. I'm glad they are doing something new with this sequel - jumping forward 4 years, introducing a copycat kill -so I don't really know what to expect, which is pretty good going for a slasher sequel.

• Advertisement

I am heading to this today ...low expectations after Kills which I thought had potential but was fairly poor...plus the early reviews don't look great (managed to avoid any spoilers so far)

...f#ck me....that is awful...genuinely...terrible I am struggling to find any positives...the intro is quite good...bar that...

What a disappointment. Spoilers ahoy.

Halloween 2018 was good imo, Halloween kills was poor...but this makes that seem like a masterpiece.

The opening was solid. The grain of a decent idea, how does society/a small town treat people, an accidental killing of a (d1ckhead) child, how would that destroy someone's life and possibly his parents lives their trauma etc. But boy does it go downhill.

Michael Myers has been living in a sewer for 4 years and waiting for the right person to come along to drag to his lair...he connects with the Corey character through eye contact when he is going to kill him...so he becomes like Michael Myers junior...ok.

Michael Myers in it very little bar last section. Which had some decent bits and a hell of a lot of knives and gore.

The metal grinder thing was signposted very very early. Carting him through town to grind him up...perfectly normal....

Some of the acting was genuinely abysmal...the tarty nurse, the lecherous doc, Corey's mother...Jamie Lee Curtis and the Allyson character were pretty poor, the punk kids...useless. The guy playing Corey was ok and gave it a go.

I didn't care about a single character everyone was hateful.

I would give it 2/10 and that is generous.

Glad it is over (at least for now).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,727 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

Somehow I doubt it's over.

What a load of shite! Oh my god, that is the worst movie I think I've ever seen. What a disappoinment. I'm speechless. Will have to take a couple of days to process it's awfulness. I'd have given the 2018 movie 8/10, Kill 6/10 but this geta a big fat zero. What on earth were they thinking???

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Pure rancid. I didn’t have high hopes, but bloody hell.

I liked it.

It tries something new and I didn't mind. It was a heck of an improvement over the load of shite we had a few years ago. That said, I think you either like the idea here or you don't and that's going to determine whether or not you'll enjoy the film. It's a different film than what the trailer would lead you to expect.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭Fred Astaire

An absolutely horrific joke of a movie. Falls apart on even the most basic aspects of filmmaking - retroactively makes Kills better because at that point you didn't think it could possibly get any worse. Literally none of this movie makes any sense. The lore makes no sense, the characters make no sense, the plot makes no sense.

Gone is the stalking, the suspense, the tension, the atmosphere, the orange hues, the autumnal tone. The score is the worst of the three by an absolute country mile. Absolute stink.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Total nonsensical story the mind boggles as to how it led to this (besides $'s!).

I didn't think Kills was particularly bad well as people were making out anyway and it was the bridge in the middle of the trilogy. This is actually utter scutter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I feel sorry for people that waste money going to see this....i havent been to cinema in years....muck churned out constantly

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

Advertisement