Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Converting a bike to a hub gear setup?

• 18-07-2022 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 31

I'm clueless about bike setup, but I'm wondering if it would be possible to convert my hybrid 18 speed bike to use a shimano alfine hub setup? If so, what components would need switching out, and is it possible to DIY it easily enough or would I need a bike mechanic?

My bike is a Boardman Hyb 8.6...

I was looking at a Shimano Alfine 11 speed hub. I found one for €85 which seems to be significantly cheaper that I see it sold elsewhere. It's about €300 in most other places! Is there something I'm missing??

My front chainring is pretty worn, so I would probably switch that out for a 1x chainring in order to make everything as low maintenance as possible. What else would I need? I'm guessing a new shifter? Would I need a new rear wheel, rear brake etc? Anything else? Trying to figure out how cost effective this would be.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

You’d need a new shifter for the alfine, a new chain, you’d have to get someone to build the hub into a wheel for you (you may be able to use your existing rim, but wheel builder can tell you that), you might have to try and calculate the correct chain ring size so that you don’t end up with too much slack since your frame has vertical dropouts.

You’re probably looking at best case 85 quid for the hub, maybe 60-80 to build the rear wheel, 60 quid for the 11 speed shifter, and then maybe 50 quid for a new chain ring and chain.

Personally wouldn’t put that much money into a 700 quid hybrid, especially since it will be a bit finicky with vertical dropouts. The only real benefit of the hub gear is slightly less maintenance

• Registered Users Posts: 31 PricklyPete

Thanks for that! Yea, I'm wondering if it's worth it. Alternatively I was thinking of going with a 1x chainring and an 11 speed cassette, but I'm guessing that would add up to a nice amount too by the time I've gotten a new shifter etc? I may just end up keeping the 9 speed cassette and going to a 1x chainring. I don't use the small chainring that much really so I might get away with that.

Advertisement