Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Judge refuses to accept character witness statements

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

Uplifting to see that GAA references are still being used by visiting law-breakers from Armagh. Although there's no evidence that that the judge was impressed.

"References were handed into court, including from his accountant and local GAA club, which speaks highly of him. The solicitor said his client had €3,000 compensation to offer. Judge McKiernan remarked she was considering a custodial sentence."

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"Daly worked in decking"

he did indeed!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

What kind of people live amongst us?

A young woman who was driven to a beach and gang raped in a car by three teenagers has described how she had to go through two trials and several days of “cruel” cross-examination in her fight for justice.

Dion Genocky (23), Troy Ryan (24) and Daryl Rooney (24) were 17 and 18 years old when they drove the then 18-year-old teenager to Dollymount Strand six years ago, where they then took turns raping her.

At a sentence hearing on Friday, the court was filled with supporters who had written testimonials on behalf of the three men and who were present in order to be cross-examined.

The 56-year-old man, who cannot be named to protect the anonymity of his victims, was found guilty by a jury following a trial at the Central Criminal Court earlier this year of 61 counts, including two counts of raping his then partner and 52 counts of sexually assaulting her. He was also found guilty of four counts of sexually assaulting her son and one count of raping the boy, who was aged between nine and 11 at the time. The man was also convicted of two charges of cruelty towards his ex-partner’s children.

Eleven character references were provided to the court on behalf of the defendant. These included statements from friends, neighbours and people who had worked with the man, with several references describing him as a “caring father” and a good friend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,566 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

At a sentence hearing on Friday, the court was filled with supporters who had written testimonials on behalf of the three men and who were present in order to be cross-examined

Interesting, the judge declined.

I wonder where that leaves us on the topic of the thread.

Is the original Judge just making loud noises?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,161 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

are the character statements read to the court before or after the verdict is handed down?

assuming after the verdict, if the issue in front of the court were not so grave; had i been that judge i'd have invited each one of them up after the verdicts had been given and asked them to read their statements into evidence. to see how willing they'd be to put it on public record that a convicted rapist was actually a grand lad really.

I don't think they are read out in the court.

But you are missing the point, the referees were present and were more and willing to take the stand, the judge declined.

they decided to do it before the guilty verdict was reached, i assume? i.e. i am wondering how many might have a change of heart when it sinks in that it's really not a good look to defend a now-convicted rapist.

What particularly impressed me was the presence of a number of character witnesses willing to inform the judge that Daryl Rooney - a chap with a mere 225 convictions on his record - was a fine upstanding citizen; kind and gentle to the elderly and animals and a pillar of his community!

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,466 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Complete scum who should never walk our streets freely again. But this is Ireland...

Scrap the cap!

they decided to do it before the guilty verdict was reached, i assume?

No, this is all part of sentencing post verdict.

No, what I meant was that their decision to give a character reference was made before the trial. After someone is found guilty, some may have a change of heart about defending that notion in court.

Advertisement