Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will David Fitzsimons Now Make First GM Norm after being been denied his rightful Olympiad Place?

• 18-07-2022 5:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭

Recently Irish IM David Fitzsimons was shafted (in my view anyway) by the selection committe when, in their own words they done this:

"After careful consideration, Tarun Kanyamarala (2319) was selected ahead of David Fitzsimons (2342), mainly due to the former's recent excellent results"

Ignoring the minus 50 and minus 95 rating points results that were also recent, known, and not so excellent, results ,alongside the recent, known, and excellent results.

Point being that you can't have it everyway and at the time the selections were made David was ahead, thus deserving of his Olympiad place. A month earlier or a month later, might have been different either way. It would have been wrong to select David if the positions were reversed at the time.

As it happens either players are a great addition to the Irish team and after David skipped the recent 2022 Irish Ch and Tarun had a great and well deserved victory, which bodes well for his first Olympiad appearance for Ireland.

Now it looks like David, who is playing for a GM norm in England. just needs to win one more last round game against another first time Irish Olympiad player Conor Murphy, in Rd9. He ( Conor) had been doing so well up until more recently in the past year where his form had waned and he has yet to get back to that purple patch that saw him fly up in rating and results. Currently on 3/7 with good chances toi be on 4/8/.

Meanwhile David was on 5/6 when he blundered badly in rd7 , missing many winning chances and then even losing to leave him needing 2/2, but he seems to be recovering well in Rd8 and has a totally winning position (fingers crossed he does not blow it) so will need just one nore win against Conor.

Can David do it?

https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/wood-green-invitational-2022/8/1/4

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 261 ✭✭RooksPawn

Yes David beat Wall so now has to beat Murphy in what will presumably be the latter's last game before the Olympiad. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Good luck to David, it will be karmatic (not a real word but it works) if he gets the GM norm after being omitted from the Irish team. I hope he can do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 285 ✭✭checknraise

Good luck to David tomorrow. He has played some great games. A GM norm would be nice to have but the rating is usually the most difficult part as Sam well knows! If David can continue his form it won't be long before he's back above 2400.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭spidersweb

Yeah and of course David won't be going to the Olympiad with Conor even if he beats him and makes a GM. norm. Odds are against a win, but there is a chance and it is a bit curious that if ever there was an Olympiad to miss then this is the one for sure.

I am honestly astounded that both Mark H and Alex B both decided to go. I have nothing but admiration for them. Might be the case that with our two top players S Collins and A Lopez not taking their places, maybe in future David might be the same going forward.Curious that if the two over 50s had also not gone we could have had Henry Li and or Killian Delaney, with David as the only previous Olympian or if Connor O Donell then he has been there twice. Be gas if it had been such a young tream.Still three newbies is interesting too.

It's a double edged thing, as if it was in Moscow, as was the plan, it would have been so much more interesting for so many more people. Could not pay me to go to this Olympiad and I suspect that is the case for many others too. Very much a younger person's Olympiad this time around. Might still be an interesting event and enioyable for the younger players. Though the experience of the two over 50s might come in handy on and off the chess board. Hope their health holds up in such a tough environment too.

Also amusing as to how on earth Alex Lopez was even selected as he had not played in Ireland since 2019 or maybe start of 2020? His friends apparently got an EGM organized to change the rules that really nobody cared about I guess, and so few attended I assume too. Not a big deal but again a bit silly. Of course I am sure Alex had no clue and when offered a place was probably surprised and just not interested, as is not so surprising really.

Sam has not played since 2014 now and I would not be surprized if he and Alex Lopez are done with Olympiads now? Perhas the same will be true for David and his playing in the future Irish ch events, also part of the fallout for being shafted again (he should have been selected in 2014- at least arguably and wasn't) which was bad luck.

I mean, there is no doubt that either Tarun or David are capable of doing well and I honestly would not be sure who is the more liable to perform better. Seems they are both in fine form at the moment.

Don't think David will beat Conor, but for sure there is a chance and it would be wonderful.

It sort of begs the curious question, which would be the more impressive performance now? Winning a first Irish Ch or winning a first GM norm. Getting to 2500 does, as has been pointed out, seem like a mountain to get to with a K factor of just 10.

Fingers crossed and we might have a great story this time tomorrow?

Post edited by spidersweb on

Game has started and can be followed on chess24 - https://chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/wood-green-invitational-2022

I quite like David's opening and think he will have decent winning chances.

• Advertisement

Watching it live, after move 17

David is much better as Black after playing a clever opening and White responding in a timid, even lame manner.

With a 25 minute time advantage too this is very positive, but still a huge way to go. We are in for a fun ride and drama.

Agree. it is very exciting. If he stays calm and keeps on the pressure he has really good chances to win this.

Objectively David was winning after move 32, but failed to play Be4 keeping it as winning but is still much better and surely winning anyway with best play after 33...Be6

David has played a fantastic game. With the time advantage it should be very difficult for white to hold.

He has played a fantastic game overall but has also played many inaccuracies as has White too. I am nervous of a screw up. Probbaly should just be a win , but it is alternating between much better and winning alot. Hopefully it settles down and his technque is good enough to just convert. So close now. Just dont blunder and the win surely will come.

• Advertisement

Yeah so many little mistakes or failure to play the best move and grab the win. One too many and it will be gone is my fear. Hope he keeps his cool and puts this away.

This is a gas game. White and Black keep playing moves that take the position from much better to winning. Black is wining, makes a move, then is much better, White then moves and Black is winning again! Come on David!

Path to winning is narrowing 44...Bc6 only way to keep the win alive. Fear he might play 44...Bc4

Blast it goddamit! He played 44...Bc4?

This why we sometimes bloody hate chess. So many mistake by both players, and now it dissipates into increment blitz madness too. Oh Dear!

A5 seemed to be the start of David's problems. I don't think it was needed as the Knight wasn't doing much on b4. Great tournament all the same.

As Bogdan says sometimes

CHESS IS Shxx!

So frustrating and annoyiing. There were so many mistakes on both sides actually. The path for winning just got narrower and bingo its gone! Black was still winning after ...a5 but the nerves and pressure must have been huge.Wanting it so much and being so close but then human errors. Unreal and so disapointing.

Aaaghhh Chess, drive you mad sometimes!

On the positive side of things, very big rating gain and as was mentioned, getting the rating up as fast and high as posisble is the main thing/ A few more "failures" to make GM norm will be fine as the rating will be going up substantially then. Good to know he really could have done it. The margins between success and failure can be so fine. But such a great performance is never a failure. Such success begets more success.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Joedryan

Interesting game, good battle, never noticed that event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭sodacat11

Excellent performance by David, maybe would have been good enough to win the Irish Championship

• Advertisement

Yes indeed that is a real possiblity, but jasus that was a disappointing end. I mean, even after loads of mistakes/inaccuracies it was only one blunder (Bc4) that actually lost the win. Been there myself many times and done far worse, but chess can be so cruel and unforgiving. Next time perhaps.

Post edited by spidersweb on

Apparently the rating performance of David here was slightly higher than Taruns fabulous Irish ch win.

Advertisement