Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2022-Round 12: France

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,134 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

He was likeable the first year and a bit. Then he started buying into his own hype and began to gradually become an arsè

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

You can't say anything bad about Perez either or some will be out to defend him too. He was miles off the pace all weekend and there can be no excuses for dozing off at the restart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Hijpo

I backed a merc double podium on Wednesday.

Russel gone down slightly in estimation, I thought that was a very immature move into the chicane and then to start on about it over the radio as if it was Perez in the wrong.

Ferrari, there are no words.

Once again, the time penalties for causing an incident are a joke.

Stroll is an absolute pig.

Silly questions for sky as usual "does it feel like a normal win or does it feel slightly less when you know that your main competitor wasn't there battling with you right to the end?" Cast your minds back lads, Jesus christ.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Dave0301

Sky's coverage really is scrapping the bottom of the barrel stuff sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭quokula

It turns out there’s a pretty good excuse for the restart as the FIA have admitted there was an error in the VSC system which gave incorrect information, he was told it was ending at one corner and sped up out of that before the ending changed to a different corner so he had to slow right back down at which point it ended while his momentum was in completely the wrong direction.

Russell (and everyone) did get the wrong information too, but depending on where on the track they happened to be at the time it incorrectly ended some suffered worse than others. I did notice some changes in gaps through the field from that safety car.

So Perez will have reason to feel robbed there, doubly so with the way Russell had earlier pushed him off the track and then repeatedly went outside track limits himself while defending.

He should never have really been in among the Mercedes to begin with though, his pace was very poor relative to Max this weekend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

I think Leclerc needs to accept that it isn't happening this year and relax a bit for his own good. If he gets a few more wins enjoy them but the championship is a goner with a 60 point gap to Max who doesn't put a foot wrong and has a more solid car. With his DNF today I think there must have been a throttle issue surely? He mentioned it at the time although afterwards in press conference said it was his mistake so maybe we'll find out more about that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,011 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Only of Checos quick reaction from Russells stupid lunge he could easily ended up with another hole in the side of the car like in Austria

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭quokula

That was a terrible question, especially since Charles made a mistake largely as a result of the pressure Max put on him by pushing hard early in the race. Very different from just inheriting a victory after another car broke down or, worse, taking victory as a direct result of punting the other driver off as you alluded to.

For once though it wasn’t actually Sky at fault here, the question came from David Coulthard doing podium interviews and in fairness to DC he does the channel 4 coverage and 99% of the time their coverage is very fair, level headed and objective.

(unless sky asked the same thing later and I missed it)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭recyclebin

Usually when VSC is ending the drivers are given a 10-15 second warning. When watching it live it seemed like an absolute age before the green flag came out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭This is it

I think the throttle comment was LeClerc trying to get out of the wall rather than a stuck throttle rounding the corner causing the spin.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Yeah was clarified in one of the interviews that LeClerc couldn't get the car into reverse after he hit the wall because he felt the throttle wouldn't fully release.

The crash was on him

By the rules the green flag should come out 10-15 seconds after the VSC ending message, it took 59 secs today because of a fault.

While it's far from ideal I don't think Perez can blame that, all drivers got the same messages at the same times. I'd like to see the on-board from Perez's car at the time, it appeared he was slow to react rather than Russell having the momentum at the time

I wonder was he doing something on the wheel, he seems very wide and very slow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭This is it

Commentators on Sky called it, Russell was slowing and getting a run on Perez in the hope he'd be hitting high speed when Perez was slow and only putting his foot down. It was risky in that Russell could be slowing when the go was given but worked out great, he blew past Perez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

Gutted for Leclerc, Max will be very hard to catch if he wasnt already.

Sainz had a great drive today, shame the tyre's or that strategy messed up his race.

• Advertisement

Sainz had a great drive but he does have a new engine and the benefits that it brings.

Any of the top four on current form won't lose too many points should they have to start from the back such is the gulf.

I wonder if there is any truth in the rumour that Perez is running a new floor that will be legal in Spa, whereas Verstappen still has the old flexy one? Perez form has mysteriously dipped and he was well off Max's pace this weekend.

It's not a new floor though it's to do with the plank and skids.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Really want Leclerc to win a WDC but I think Max has had it wrapped up for a number of weeks now. He's shown a level of consistency the past 3 years that wouldn't have given me any hope for Leclerc even before today. Barring something competely unforseen he's going to win the title by over a ton. I think the excitement in the rest of the season is essentially just watching Ferrari. They're always exciting to watch, except of course, if you're a fan of team. I think it'll also be interesting to see if Lewis can win a race to keep his streak going.

The whole Ferrari situation is just baffling though. Across other sports we see similarly mismanaged teams, but there is generally some sort of warped logic that they seem to be applying. With Ferrari there just seems to be none. It has to be highly embarrassing at this stage and tbh, Binotto should be getting his marching orders over the summer break. He's the man ultimately responsible and there doesn't even seem to be a gradual improvement in their race strategy. It's in stark contrast to their main rivals RB who seem to absolutely nail their strategy week in week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,676 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

God i really dislike that circuit...

Miles and miles of runoff, and those painted lines all over the place, and the low camera angles , makes it a very hard watch.

And i find the layout of the circuit a bit 'meh' .......

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... " #NoPopcorn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭McFly85

Max is pretty much at the stage where he doesn’t need to win any more races to secure the championship, unless RBs reliability problems come back in a major way the title is done and dusted, which is a shame.

When everything works, Ferrari have a beast of a car and 2 excellent drivers, so it’s crazy that we’re just about at the summer break and they’re all but out of it. I cannot understand how their strategists are routinely so bad.

You’d feel for Leclerc too, he had a genuine chance of competing this year. Would expect Mercedes to be right back in it too next year so he may never have a better chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,550 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ferrari have always been a pretty poor team. The culture at Ferrari is probably the biggest issue. They have always had the resources and advantages like the veto over rules. But they have almost always managed to fail to produce the best car or the best team.

The culture of blame is really prevalent at Ferrari. I presume it has a terrible impact on identifying and eliminating problems. Everyone terrified of sticking their head above the parapet or being thrown under the bus. I think the team principal has done a great Job in one sense to get the car back to the front. The engine and car were both terrible a few years and now they're both at the top with Red Bull. Now there's a different problem with another aspect of the team. Do you fire the team principal for the failure or credit him with the great improvements?

Ferrari are probably the worst value for money team in F1. Its a pity they're the team were relying on to make the championship competitive.

The replay I saw from Russell's onboard didn't really show it like that though, Russell had slowed early in the VSC then tried to get the jump on Perez but the VSC didn't end and Russell had to slow down again. When the green flag eventually was shown Russell reacted well but Perez was way off line and looked very slow to react.

I genuinely believe that Ferrari have a slightly faster car and I think they should have at least 2 more wins which would make the championship a lot closer.

I also believe that Charles doesn't currently deserve to be a champion. He's pushes too hard which sometimes makes him look brilliant but will eventually end in the wall.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,329 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Ferrari need multiple 1-2s and some serious bad luck for Red Bull to make this anyway close. Red Bull are just much slicker. They invariably nail their strategy and there's never the same sense of confusion/chaos on their team radio that there is with Ferrari. Granted we only hear snippets but they are just much slicker. I don't think Horner would tolerate the nonsense we see from the Ferrari pitwall week in and week out.

Add to that Max is driving at an extraordinarily consistent level. He just doesn't make the mistakes that Leclerc does.

Post edited by namloc1980 on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

I would argue Ferrari was more competitive against Mercedes in 2017 and 2018 than it is now against Red Bull. The car is less reliable too.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

I really think they need to start using drive through penalties and stop go more now. This 5 second penalty for ruining somebody's race is not enough.

And in reality, neither was actually competitive because some aspects of the team are fatally flawed in both periods

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Charles is an excellent driver but he cracks when under pressure and makes stupid mistakes. Max no longer does the stupid stuff that he did at the start of his career. As above he is super consistent.

• Advertisement

I think it needs to be at least a 10 second stop go penalty, Russell took Checo out of the race in Austria but Russell still finished 4th and the same with Ocon taking out Tsunoda yesterday. A 5 second penalty just isn't enough

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 665 CMod ✭✭✭✭LIGHTNING

Problem is for some of the front runners 10 seconds isnt enough. Getting them through the pitlane and getting stuck in traffic is more of a punishment.

Maybe make them take the penalty the following lap or something rather than let them gain time before taking the penalty. I don't know but the penalties need to be harsher for ending another drivers race

Yeah that's a fair assessment. Charles is a top driver but his consistency and tenancy to crack under pressure is his Achillies heel. Max is ahead of him as best driver.

But Charles could still sort that aspect out. Max sorted it out. Charles could be forged in the heat of a championship battle. Next year he could be the real deal - if Ferrari can keep their sh1t together to produce a decent car again next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Is LeClerc *a bit* like Massa, can be very quick but always the risk of binning it, Think Charles is much much better than Massa but its a similar driving style? When young drivers come in and have mega pace but then crash a lot, you think they are still learning the ropes and with more experience they will keep the speed and iron out the crashes. Massa was always quick, but had a lot of race ending crashes and was too wild with other drivers. Dont think he ever really went past this phase.

Charles needs to start learning the risks not to take, not always driving over the limit and keep the pace without the accidents if he ever wants to be WC.

--------------

Great race from Sainz, Russell and Alonso. Sainz is showing amazing racecraft and is being let down by the team ( >unsafe release).

Russell had a punchy race and mugged a podium off Perez. I didn't like the "I'm totally innocent" radio chatter from him in the last two races tho' First the " Nothing I could do he (Perez) just turned into me" in Austria... Mate you were on the inside and u let your car wash out that it tagged Perez as he was going past u on the outside (Russell rightly got penalty for this) and then France goes for a super lunge up the inside and only just made it less than half way alongside Perez before contact and he wants Perez to give him the place!!!! DUDE u never even made it halfway alongside, then u hit Checo and u want him to give u the place DREAM ON!!!! Think his team were right to tell him u were not past Perez, get your head down and pass him legit on track. He must be picking up Hamilton's bad habits. 😁

Post edited by Corben Dallas on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Sainz is also error prone and pushes too hard at times. Charles is quicker but Sainz is a strong team mate which augurs well for the future of the team, unlike Perez at Red Bull who flukes the odd victory and a few podiums but is underperforming hugely. This is to the detriment of Max rather than being to his advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Perez has 163 points this season

Red bull lead the constructors by 82

I'd say Red Bull are very happy with Checo, does enough to get them into a great position in the constructors and to help max, doesn't do quite enough to challenge max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

Well he isn't allowed challenge him even if he did have the pace to challenge him he is told no fighting/put on a random strat to cover stroll or something 🤣

Over the last 6 races the people who scored the most points are max, Lewis, Sainz, Perez, Russell and Leclerc in that order so if it keeps up like that, it's gonna be Red bull Merc and then Ferrari finishing the season in that order.

I wanted Leclerc to have a chance at the WDC but he has ruined his challenge along with Ferrari, I wouldn't be surprised if Sainz finished the championship ahead of him.

So unless the FIA technical directive drastically hampers red bulls performance it's a one horse race to Abu Dhabi it's just a case of by how much max wins by and how soon he wraps up the season. There is no challenger this year. He won't win all the remaining races, but it will only be a minor set back for him when he doesn't.

Even lewis at least had a team mate challenging him for some of his championships or another team for the rest.

Yeah it's a pity it's working out this way. Ferrari are such a terrible team given the resources they have.

But the car is generally very competitive and Leclerc is a top driver so we could have some really good individual races this season with good battles for the lead. They just won't really matter to the result of the championship.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Ferrari need to have a clear out of their strategy team at the end of this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Not defending Ferrari but the two big mistakes last weekend were driver errors. Sainz left the pit when the light was still red and LeClerc admitted his mistake during the race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭dmakc

Yes I don't think Ferrari strategy is to blame this weekend either. Leclerc was looking good if he didn't bin it. I think Sainz' tyres would have dropped off too much to fight Perez/Russell if he hadn't come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I disagree. Sainz started on hards, lap 18 was too early to switch to medium. IMO he should have stayed out and gained track position. Likely that the Mercs, Norris and Alonso would have got past him again on track but the Ferrari is strong enough to defend to such an extent that he could have worn out their tyres in the effort of getting past him. Pit for mediums later and just steam roll them to the podium.

I think too many people are putting the blame on Ferrari strategy team. Engine failures and driver errors have cost them most this season.

Some of the strategy calls were very marginal. I think the way they communicate to drivers could be improved though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,250 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Surprised no-one picked up on this on the day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

He does have a lot of Fans over here, he's always been popular, so not surprised.

I noticed at the time,

A bit sad considering we have our own Silver arrows with a very similar name,

Go Luas!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,297 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

I still find it crazy when I think about Ferrari. Take out Schumachers 5 years of dominance, and they have only won 1 title since 1979. Granted they have mostly been there or thereabouts in more recent years, but its not exactly a measure of success.

They're typically a midfielder upper midfield team. Take pit the Schumacher years and the 50s when they bought the Alfa team which had the best car on the grid, and there not a very successful team. Add in the fact that they have the greatest resources for most of the time they're in the sport, and they have a veto over rules, and they actually seem like a very average team overall.

It's probably very poorly run, with a poor work culture. They seem to throw money at problems and then throw each other under the bus.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement