Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I ask for living wage

Options
  • 18-07-2022 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

I've been at my current job for a year now and getting paid €11.00 an hour. I'm having trouble running a car, paying rent, insurances, and paying all of the usual bills we all have to at my current hourly rate. In the last year I've consistently been the most productive member of staff and many times been singled out by my boss for praise. Would it be cheeky to ask for the living wage of €12.90?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Look for another job that pays higher, then let your boss know that you have to move as you need the higher wages to pay your bills.

If they value you, they will increase it.

I start part-time student retail staff at €11.50, and pay min 13.50 for experienced retail staff.

Don't undersell yourself, ask for 14.00

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Just find a better paying job.

No, give current employer an opportunity first especially if the op likes the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭CreadanLady

No. Why would the the employer make a serious raise offer unless there is the chance of losing the good employee?

Op will be in a much better bargaining position if he has another offer in hand.

The MFV Creadan Lady is a mussel dredger from Dunmore East.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,970 ✭✭✭✭rob316

No offence OP but if your on €11 its a min. wage unskilled job, he'll let you go before breaking his wage structure and giving you €2 an hour more. Go find something else that pays better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 PolishGuy33

No offence taken but I wouldn't say it is unskilled. It involves welding and wiring. The company have a high turnover rate with staff as they continue to hire very young people who have no training, get quickly swamped and leave or work at a snail's pace and get bad feedback.

read my first post. Have the opportunity in hand when discussing the raise. This way the OP knows what their value is.

If its welding and wiring, then the OP should easily be able to get €15+++ in the market. If the company can't match it, THEN move.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Labaik

11 euro an hour mother of jaysus how are employers getting away with this. Thats 1760 a month before tax if its 40 hours a week lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,966 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Ask for it, best to ask on a Thursday and say think about it over the weekend. That gives them time to talk to other managers in there and to mull it over.

If you don't get it look for something better and don't look back if they offer you a pay rise to stay. Move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,076 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

OP that's ridiculous. You would be better off working in dunnes! Higher rate of pay and 10% discount!

• Advertisement

That's even worse so that its actually a skill. I just figured as that sort of wage is usually for low level retail.

Your welding and wiring for €11 per hour? That's ridiculous, if you can hold a hammer and shovel you could get €15/€16 min, working on a site.

We're paying €12.50 an hour plus small monthly comm. to our retail staff and they are honestly sitting on a stool on their phones most the day.

You can't work for that OP

The management are cheap skates they prefer a high staff turnover than paying a decent wage and retaining skilled staff. Go look for another job and don't waste your time

Thanks for the replies. I just wanted to check that I wasn't being out of line. I've only been in Ireland for fifteen months and I have no real Irish friends that I can pose these questions to. They know that I work hard and that I've proven my abilities in each area of the company. I think I will ask for a raise in August after my holidays and maybe ask for a reference if they aren't amenable.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,837 ✭✭✭enricoh

What part of the country are you in? If you are welding ask E15 an hour. Don't wait til after holidays. I know one welding crowd that are cheapskates and have to send their 'welders' to fas for training now. All the good guys are long gone.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

I'd advise to ask for the raise based on the work you are doing and your proven abilities that you have referenced, e.g. that you are "the most productive member of staff and many times been singled out by my boss for praise" and (I am assuming) that you help train in/look after the younger members of staff that they keep hiring too. That experience and knowledge is worth a lot, if nothing else you have 12 months more experience than you had when they hired you and have been a good addition to the company by the sounds of things.

However if they were happy to offer you €11ph to do such work, they may also be happy to let you leave and seek someone else who will also do the job for €11ph. I'd start looking out for new positions as well as asking.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,698 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Ask for €16, only the cowboys are paying welders €11 p/h

Also bear in mind, if they were a decent company to work for they would'nt let a good welder work for €11p/h

Going rate for an average MIG welder is about 14-15p/h, with inflation maybe €16p/h

If you have certs then €16+

Don't wait, have something else lined up, then ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

Reminded me of this op, welders are worth 15 absolute minimum

• Registered Users Posts: 23,481 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Pushed to know how you are even running a car on that and managing to survive tbh

Ask for a pay rise.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Jesus,we pay more to basic data entry jobs my 8yo could do. Ask for a raise and start looking for a job elsewhere at the same time. They will either give you a raise or your cards will be marked. More fool them if it's the latter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭HBC08

You have outlined how the company operate,many places work like this,a worker asking for and getting a 20% raise doesn't fit into this business model

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Your managment are fools there and are robbing their shareholders if they have them. Automate it or outsource it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,477 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not but on the basis you are not, you don't know my job. Senior management outsourced loads years ago and it ended up costing alot more. Outsourcing is only really sensible when the company is of a certain size and how much of said job time it takes and so on. It really depends on the skill and aim. Job is not automatable although parts are and have been over time.

By the sounds of the OP, it doesn't sound automatable, although maybe it is but with a high turn over, loss in productivity when training people in, cost of training going out the door, a small increase to keep staff for a few years more makes a hell of a lot of sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭893bet

anyWhere near intel? They are mad for lads like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

But look in the mean time. Have yourself another job before anything.

I had a meeting this morning during which I asked for a pay increase. The lady said that the most they would be willing to offer me is an extra fifty cent an hour. I explained my case and said that I wasn't able to live on that and that I needed at least €13.00 an hour to live. She is going to discuss it with the bosses tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭HBC08

Have you looked elsewhere?

I'm pretty sure a skilled welder wouldn't be long looking for employment and getting €17 - €18 an hour.Youre being exploited here,value yourself and move on.

Advertisement