Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free travel after GAA cup final

Options
  • 17-07-2022 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭

Irish Rail staff instructing people to go through at Drumcondra station after the match today without paying.

Must be great to be in such a solid financial state.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

same after the Aviva concerts on the dart, crowd safety rather than multiple crushes and claims

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭rolling boh

Same for football semi I was wondering what was going on with just being waved through .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

They tried to stop me tagging on with my leap card when entering after the semi final, strangely enough.

Presumably the expectation is that most passengers are getting off at Maynooth line stations and can exit without passing through barriers. What happens if you travel in the opposite direction and try to leave the system at Connolly/Tara St/Pearse which have barriers operational at all times. Will “I got on at Drumcondra and they told me not to pay” be accepted to avoid a Penalty Fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,221 ✭✭✭howiya

I tried to tag on at Lansdowne Road after one of the Ireland games last month. Was waved to keep carrying on without tagging. Was worried how I'd get out at Tara St but the barriers were open.

I usually tag on. You'd be in the queue until they open the railings/gates and you'd have plenty of time to tag on but in this instance the queue was moving and staff were trying to keep it moving.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭bikeman1

This is done purely from a safety point of view and as a way to lift large numbers of people away as swiftly as possible.

The Revenue Protection and barrier staff are fully aware that this happens and will not issue penalty fares at this time. Sometimes rail has to be used in such a manner rather than trying to get 1,200 people per train to tag on at a station that is not designed for those sort of numbers. Once the crowds die down, the ask again for people to tag on / buy tickets. It is a sensible thing to do. Crowd management is extremely serious business for all operators of stadiums and transport for obvious reasons. It is not a case of, we have loads of money to let everyone travel for free.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there should be some sort of deal anyway; make it official, that with a purchase of a ticket for an all ireland or a semi, public transport is included with the match ticket, certainly enough to facilitate park and ride from maynooth, etc.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Smaller stadium, smaller city but Brighton has such a setup despite having private transport operators to work it out with.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,852 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

That’s common place in Germany.

You’d think Irish Rail would be pushing for it here to protect/increase their revenue.

And it’s amazing how our politicians keep telling us how much they love “Europe”, but have no interest in adopting their better policies.

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭PeaSea

Same thing happens after a game at the San Siro, trams are bunged and no-one pays.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,874 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

What about the people who don't need public transport to home or have to use a bus? Tickets are expensive enough.

If someone is using the P&R they'd have to have bought a return ticket, same as all the other people who came by train. So it's not really affecting revenue that much. Technology can easily count crowds so why not bill the venues afterwards , they are making the profits so they can afford to pay for the PT.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,374 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

What about the people who don't need public transport to home or have to use a bus?

so be it? though buses are PT too?

Advertisement