Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rent increase by landlord

Options
  • 16-07-2022 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello, I'm currently renting a house in Firhouse. Landlord is a super nice guy. We started renting the house in 2019 and the rent was €1900.

Last week got a text from landlord that he wanted to increase the rent which is understandable since he never raised them for the past 4 years however he wanted to raise to €2150 a total of 13% increase. I have contacted him saying that RTB calculator stated that he can increase up to 6.7% since the house in the rent pressure zone. Got a reply by landlord that RTB calculator doesn't include the increasing interest rate and charges that he need to pay.

Any idea what should I do next?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,752 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Ask him to forward you written documentation of the rent increase, in the format proscribed by the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭hunter2000

You will have to pay increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SkryneRed

Okay, thank you. I'll try to do that next.

What's lingering in my mind is that we are quite scared of doing more than what we already did (telling him that he cannot raise more because of the rent pressure zone) because don't want to be asked to vacate the house.

Wife is saying that we should accept the new rent

I really don't mind the increase if the increase is as per the rate based on RTB. But the landlord is asking more than that.

Yeah, it's a toss-up.

Legally, you don't have to accept it, and Threshold will help you to fight it.

But do you want to live with that sort of relationship with the LL. No increase since 2019 has saved you a bit. what's the supply alternative properties in your area? How much of a hassle would it be to move? What's your assessment of a fair rent for the property.

Personally, I accepted a rent increase that was a little about what was legal, with deficient paperwork. But this was tempered by the fact that the rent hadn't increased for years so was well behind the market. And I just filed the dodgy paperwork away carefully, to use as a wild-card : the LL is aging, and if his wife starts managing the place, we think she could be tricky to deal with, so would like some tricks of our own.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cagefactor

I am a landlord, that guy is pulling is the piss. It's 2% per year pro-rata he can increase, so if your there 36 months its 6% so I guess you are there a little longer and that's where the 6.7% is coming from. The 2% is the max, there is no allowance to lash in more because of 'interest rates'.

Tell him you will pay the 6.7% as per the law, if he persists tell him you will report him to the PRTB and revenue. https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/tenancies-board-vows-to-go-after-landlords-after-rent-rises-exceed-legal-caps-40903494.html

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

This is why landlords should follow guidelines and raise the rent every time by the maximum allowed

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No, they don't - its significantly above the RPZ limit. Please don't post on things you don't actually know about.

The landlords interest and other charges are not of your concerns, or re-chargeable. However, if they are actually unable to afford to keep renting (unlikely, at that rent, but anyway) they may choose to sell instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭Thinkingaboutit

If a rent has not been increased for a long time, an increase can be backdated (some tenants of a big REIT are so finding), but the percentage seems, perhaps miscalculated.

Thank you for the input. But like @Mrs OBumble said, we don't really want a sour relationship with the landlord as well.

Another thing is the landlord wanted the new rent next month which I think is another issue as well because if I am not wrong he need to give 3 months notice for rent increase.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,892 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Yes, they have to give notice for an increase. They are either totally unaware of the process, or chancing their arm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭dennyk

Got a reply by landlord that RTB calculator doesn't include the increasing interest rate and charges that he need to pay.

That's an issue the landlord will need to take up with the government, then, since the law doesn't say "the rent increase can't exceed the statutory limit unless the landlord's costs have increased more than that, in which case the sky's the limit!"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭DubCount

The LL is in the wrong. The increase is above the RPZ rules, the notice period is insufficient, and the form of the notice is probably incorrect. Op would be quite withing their rights to take this to RTB and would win.

However, there is about 123 per month in the difference. If this is worth the fight, go for it. If this is worth a quiet life and good relationship with the LL, pay it and hope its another 3 years before the next increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,169 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

No doubt this a dilemma many tenants are facing, pay the increased rent which is on foot of an invalid notice/above what is legally allowed, or, dispute it and wait for the valid notice of termination. It’s an unviable situation and must be considered with practicality in mind. From the LLs perspective, house prices must be close to piquing so selling up is very tempting if relations deteriorate with the tenant.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Still stihl waters 3

I can see the landlords side in that he hasn't put up the rent in 3 years and yet you see it as being unfair, illegal yes but hardly worth the fight, check out daft and there's 1 for rent in firhouse, a studio for 1400, move the search out 3kms and you can see you're getting a really good deal, if I were you I'd bite my tongue, would it be really worth winning the case for the landlord to decide he can cash it in the way the housing market is at the moment, I'd be counting my lucky starts and paying the extra

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭fash

One possible approach, to avoid a negative relationship outcome is to negotiate with the landlord - say:

" I hear what you are saying about having to pay increased rates etc - and I really do sympathize: all of us are facing increased costs so I can fully understand why you want this, but you do understand that legally you are only entitled to 6.7%? Look, tell you what, let's agree on X%"

You are effectively communicating to the landlord that "actually if you push me too far, I have other, financially better options"

You can even pull the plug on that illegal overpayment when you leave the apartment too

The LL also has another financially better option though.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭The DayDream

Stop thinking that this landlord is a 'super nice guy'. He's pulling the same BS many of them do, thinking the rules don't apply to them, in fact often they don't even bother learning what the rules are, figuring that the balance of power is so heavily weighted in their favor that they can do what they like.

They can't tack on extra charges on top of the max increase. Otherwise what would be the point of max increase? Mind boggling that they can't comprehend that.

I would just open a dispute right away for 15 euro online. The rent increase is non valid on 2 counts and they need to be put onto the back foot, good relationship or not. They're the ones who started the whole thing putting pressure on you so screw feeling bad about it.

Legally, of course you are right, but the law is not the only consideration. The op could win the legal, and moral battle, but that will be of little benefit if the LL says “Sod this, I’m selling up” as thousands are. So the op has to do what is best for the op, and that means considering all options.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭macvin

Tell his that like him, you have had a lot of price increases especially food and fuel and that you are finding it hard to save anything and that because you need to save a very euro from costs you have to argue with him on the amount of increase and the notice of the increase.

Tell him you entered the details on the RTB calculator and the highest it can be increased is €130 (may be slightly different depending on what month in 2019 you moved) and that 3 months notice is required.

Finish with that you love living there and that "we both get on well" and that you keep the house in good condition, so "can we agree the the new rent will be from October and it will be €2000 a month"?

If he's as decent as you say, he will come to an arrangement

• Advertisement

Got a reply by landlord that RTB calculator doesn't include the increasing interest rate and charges that he need to pay.

So the landlord is fully aware that you've checked the RTB calculator - he knows what legally he can increase the rent by, but is still insistsing on the increase. He's obviously not one bit worried about you going to the RTB.

Curious what these extra charges hes talking about are.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭MakersMark

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭MakersMark

In what way do you think tenancies are weighted in favour of landlords?

Please explain.

Tenants are not legally bound hy the contracts they sign.

They have to give less notice than landlords when leaving.

They can overhold for years without effective punishment.

You dont seem to have a clue what you're talking about I'm afraid.

Have you insured anything lately? Was the price the same as last year? Or bought any building materials for maintenance/repairs? Seen any management charges bills from MUDs?

Not difficult to see increased charges at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

I wouldn't go with the fully understanding part. It's not legal.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Not difficult to not to see increased charges either going with that logic.

There are legal barriers of how much the rent can increase similarly there are legal barriers preventing tenant from not paying their rent or asking to reduce it regardless of the economy.

Landlords cost increased so have the tenants cost of living, the rent increase is regulated however and - like it or not - the law is the law.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,140 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

That's business for you. Your costs change and you have to manage. If those costs went down in any one year, the tenant has no right to a commensurate deduction from rent......so I don't see why people assume it should work the other way

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The Landlord isnt going by the law. Tell him look thrvmax rent as per the law is x . The earliest this can be applied is x months after written notification. Thanks for understanding anything other that that would not be in-line with he law and you dont want any issues arising from this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

The issue raised his costs have increased is a very odd statement to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,317 ✭✭✭gameoverdude

Advertisement