Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stairs in a old house with the top riser at 10", the rest at 8"

Options
  • 15-07-2022 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭

Any thoughts on how to sort it.

Bottom landing to left, same as top .

If you remove the carpet and add 2" to each tread, you end up with a 2" lift on the landing at the bottom of the stairs.

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭dathi

would adding 1" to each step not make all the risers 9"?

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭charlesanto

late night last night brain fart this morning😂

you measure and count the rises so for this example i said 1 x 10" and 7 x 8"rises = 66" so divide by number of rises =8 1/4 " so then you start at bottom step which was 8" and add 1/4" which makes it right height but changes step 2 to 7 3/4 so it needs 1/2" to make it 8 1/4 , and you carry on up stairs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,274 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Would you not just retain as part of the character of the old building?

Why does everything have to be uniform now :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,180 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Are you saying the bottom landing has a 10 step comings on to it as well is it just a landing or is there rooms off it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Post 5 thanks

Post 6 building reg compliance required for sale

Post 6, no

When was the house build. Unless it's a modern house it's not required. If this house was build 30+ years ago then is not required. Building regulations recognise that stairs in older houses are not standard. The requirements when replacing them is to replace like for like.

Trying to reconfigure a stairs is very hard. The best wood for threads on a stairs is High Density Giber wood. I am not sure if it's available in 1/4'' thickness and even if that is suitable to redo the threads. I would go with changing the last four to bring them to 8 and1/2''.

However if it's an old house you should be able to sell as is.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 12,195 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Point taken re building regs but it is very dangerous, being the top step, if the bottom the fall would be much reduced

IMO it would be nearly impossible to make all eight steps the same size, using 1/4'' increments to rise all steps. The smalles sizes of HDF I have seen is 1/2''. You can also get it in 1''.

By using 1/2'' increments on the top four steps you should get them all to 8.5''.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
Advertisement