Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards buzz words and emojis

Options
  • 12-07-2022 10:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭

Virtue signalling is the new buzz word. Certainly has taken over from the covid phrases.

Emojis are becoming the new normal also. Where will it all end?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

🍤.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

:rolleyes:

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

🤐

🤬

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

I always roll my eyes when I see virtue signalling, because people invariably haven't a clue what it means.

The definition is "the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue." Essentially trying to look like the goodie two shoes

We could have the greens announce they they are in favour of cutting emissions or creating new bike lanes, or sinn fein saying they want to abolish direct provision and you would have lads on here say they are "virtue signalling", when in actual fact they are just stating their policy positions.

It's a weird thing to use as an insult anyway, unless the person is being a hypocrite, in which case just call them a hypocrite!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

🧑‍🦰👱👉👌👉👌👉👌💦💦🤰🤱

• Advertisement

8===D💦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭sam t smith

💩,

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

on the subject of emojis - what happened to the emojis on youtube when you make a comment??

• Registered Users Posts: 10,914 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Emojis still not popular on Reddit, but massive GIFs are appearing more, which are even worse, when it already takes an age to scroll through a busy thread.

Definitely need to bring back the :pac: to save boards.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,015 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I haven't heard 'Certainly' as a covid phrase... Will use in future to be cool

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,181 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

"Per corner" when talking about the price of tyres

"Overtaking lane"

"Bizarre"

Calling the guards "AGS" in an attempt to sound like an officious bastion of truth

AGS is bad alright. Took me an age to figure out what people were on about.

Even urban dictionary was no use at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭policarp

Texting used abbreviated

messaging because it was

cheaper to send short messages.

Also in the olden days telegrams

were used for something like the

same reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

"Simples!" Usually coming after some ridiculously complex solution to a minor problem

"We need to abolish the dail and give more powers to local authorities, simples!"

"The obvious solution is to ban alcohol and legalise all drugs, simples!"

"We just need to build a few nuclear plants, simples!"

"Housing would be solved overnight if we just CPO'd all second homes, simples!"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,175 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,382 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Advertisement