Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timber frame or brick

Options
  • 11-07-2022 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭

Hi All,

I’m looking for some advice. I’m about to start a self build and I don’t know whether to go with timber frame or brick. I’m thinking brick at the minute but a friend of mine says to go timber. My concerns with timber is mainly that it won’t be as strong as a brick house and it might not have a long lifespan.

would you know which is better? Also are they both fairly even when it comes to price?

Greatly appreciate any advice. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭C. Eastwood

woodzie

First of all I assume you mean a Concrete Block house or Timberframe House.

I also assume you are not talking about Clay Bricks.

Timberframe Houses from reputable Certified Timberframe Manufactures are designed and certified by Engineers.

A Timberframe house is erected in a few days and the roof is erected and supported by the Timberframe.

A 100 mm Concrete Blockwork OR Clay Bricks (or a mixture of both) External walls are constructed outside the Timberframe with a 50 mm cavity between the external wall and Concrete Blockwork/ Clay Brickwork.

A Timberframe house with 150 mm studs in the external walls, will have 150 mm of thermal insulation between the studs.

If the house is constructed correctly and of materials similar to most other houses in Ireland - it should last at least 100 years and many more.

For self build the Timberframe will be very fast.

A Timberframe house is perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭woodzie

Thanks for that C.Eastwood. Would you have any recommendations for timber frame manufacturers in Ireland. Thanks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Whoever you get recommended to look at, make sure they are on the NSAI list of approved timber frame manufacturers. They cannot comply with IS440 without this, and thus you cannot get Building Regulation compliance.

There are one or 2 operating in Dublin at present that are not accredited.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭JimmyMW

Nothing wrong with either option, however be sure to account for the project as a whole, ie insulation values, thermal mass required etc, this is not as simple as just picking one over the other. In my experience timber frame is much quicker but more expensive, but id imagine the design/shape of the house will determine a lot in terms of cost

Advertisement