Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Repair worn teeth on window regulator

Options
  • 11-07-2022 12:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭

Hi, the window regulator on my classic car can no longer open my window due to the fact that 3 or 4 of the teeth have been worn away.

New (OEM or otherwise) is not available, apart from one place in the US for big money. Since it just looks to be made of regular, and, I assume, not hardened steel, I wonder if it could be repaired by welding more material onto it and filling down?

The pic below shows the affected area - the teeth pitch is about 5-7mm

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Chippy01

Can you disassemble the regulator totally? If so, maybe take the affected part to a fabricator to make a new one?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭MrCostington

Thanks, I thought of that, but all the spindles that the gears fit onto are sort of riveted closed. It could be drilled apart easily, but re-assembly would be another matter. The part number is actually stamped on the arm that has the worn gear, but looking that up shows the complete assembly.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Bring it to a good fabricator and they will easily fix it, they probably need to grind off the rivet heads and remove the gear to cut a new one, then press it back on and weld it on again.

I don't think its hard to replace, welding the teeth may be harder than you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Done loads of them back in the days when everything was repaired instead of dumped. Going by the pic though,the teeth doesn't look bad enough to not work. How are the teeth on the pinion gear? That would be a bigger problem to repair

I think the pinion is OK, it works fine for most of the window travel, just the last bit going up (there was binding in the rails at the top which I fixed. I think the extra load wore out the teeth.)

LOL, no, it don't look too bad ... because that's a pic of a new one from the web! Sorry, I should have said that. I just wanted to use a clear pic to show the area of damage. Is my welding idea a runner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Dirty Nails

I'd chance it. Oxyacetylene ideally or maybe Mig. Probably worst choice would be an arc welder. Put of bit of hard card or tin under the good teeth & trace the profile on to it first. It might be handy for reshaping the new teeth

Thanks. I won't be doing it myself as can't weld, or have the equipment. But at least I know it's not a stupid idea! I'll ask a few companies.

BTW, great username for posting on DIY car mechanics :)

Advertisement