Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Sand battery

• 09-07-2022 11:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

Not applicable to domestic usage I guess but thought I'd post anyhow just as a fyi.

what if they incorporate a thermoelectric generator to it? the transfer losses wouldn't make it economic I suppose.

great to see innovative storage ideas coming to market

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

It's not exactly new, there's been a few projects looking into using gravel or sand as a thermal battery. I remember a video about a project in where they were testing different media to see how they performed

I think the eventual goal is STES (Seasonal Thermal Energy Storage) where you warm up your thermal battery in summer using excess energy and use it in winter when it's needed

To do that you need a lot of heat and something extremely stable and cheap to store it in, hence why they're looking at stuff like sand, gravel or even building rubble

I heard there was also a chemical version where they'd heat up some salt to turn it into a solid and then when they add water the reaction is exothermic to create heat

It's a great idea when combined with district heating, which personally I think should be mandatory in every new estate

For example near me the council is building some new all weather pitches. Not hard to imagine putting a concrete lined tub underneath and filling with sand or gravel and a water pipe network like a GSHP

If there was a district heating system put in place along with a fair amount of solar PV then the council could buy the excess solar in summer, use it to heat the storage battery, and then discharge it in winter in the form of district heating

Could even use wind energy from the grid to supplement the energy demand.

My personal favourite idea would be to use the district heating for cooling as well as use the heat battery as a giant heat sink instead of dumping all that heat energy into the atmosphere

The economics are dodgy as hell however. Much like district heating it's an idea which only works at scale and is quite a risk for anyone investing into it.

Also with any community system there's always going to be nimby's and naysayers who will try to block any system being installed

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Yup - naysayers are everywhere mate.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Thermoelectric generators are either solid state, complex and awful (seebeck/peltier) or are steam turbine based and require huge amounts more kit to implement.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Punchin A Keyboard

• Registered Users Posts: 10,803 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Yeah especially when community schemes get mentioned

Part of the problem with them is that they're only really viable if you get a majority of the people in the area to sign up. If that doesn't happen then the costs are shared among a small customer base and it's unaffordable

And between Nimby's and general aversion to good ideas in this contry you can be sure you'll struggle to get people onboard

Possibly the only way to make it work would be a council run scheme of some sorts. For example where I live the council could install a couple of big thermal batteries and run heating pipes under all the roads in the nearby estates

The cost for this could be built into property tax and connection fees could be made free for the first few years. Since residents are basically paying for the system already, then a lot of people would be quick to sign up

Chuck a decent local grant on top for Solar PV and heat pumps and all of a sudden you've a viable district heating system powered by renewables, which can also make some income for the local council

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭bullit_dodger

Those community heating schemes work pretty well on the continent, Germany/Poland esp. Technically no reason why we could do the same. Course, you need the public to "buy into it" as you say, and that's a challange in this place.

Too much "ahh but sure i want to do my own thing"..... but I digress from the sand battery point.

Advertisement