If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

Importing from EU?

  • 08-07-2022 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

    Hi. I'm a EU citizen with a EU driver license, resident in the State.

    I've seen a lot of resident people just drive their foreign registered (EU) cars, for years, without issue.

    However doing things right would require registering such a car.

    I'm thinking of buying a right hand drive car in my country (cheaper) and bring it to Ireland, how much would VRT be?

    What about the insurance?

    I've had my EU license for 10 years and no accidents, had several cars. Would this matter?

    I wouldn't want to have an insurance quote similar to that of a new driver and I don't want to buy and bring the car, register it, just to discover that.



  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭walshtipp

    You can do a VRT calculation here:

    Keep in mind that this is just an estimate and you will have to present your car at an NCT centre to get an actual price, but its usually fairly close.

    You will have to get quotes from various insurance companies. Yes your history of no accidents will help you, although it may still be expensive if you've never held a motor insurance policy in Ireland before. Before you register the car you could get insurance quotes using the vehicle details.

    I must stress this point, phone the insurance companies. Online quotes are often completely inaccurate.

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭User1998

    VRT information above.

    Your insurance will be cheaper if you exchange your license for an Irish one.

    Either way you won’t have any no claims bonus but you will have 10+ years driving experience

  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭spontindeed

    @Cristianc The European Commission has recently launched infringement procedures against Ireland in relation to VRT. You may be interested to know that a lot of EU Citizens in your situation have complained to the European Union about Ireland's illegal Vehicle Registration Tax (VRT) regime for obvious reasons. I encourage you to also bring your situation to the attention of the European Commission because it will help to force the Irish Government into scrapping this illegal tax on pre-owned Vehicle imports from the EU and help bring down prices. I believe that leasing a car from another EU Country which the Commission has recently forced the Irish Government to exempt from VRT once it enters the Irish state may be one option available to you. There is a huge amount of information out there on this.

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭User1998

    VRT isn’t illegal. All EU countries have VRT. Ours is just substantially higher than most

  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

    OP you said you're considering buying RHD car on the continent to bring it here.

    Vast majority of RHD cars on the continent were second hand imports from UK or Ireland, so if you could find one which was exported from Ireland, and VRT refund was not claimed on it upon export, then when registering it will be VRT exempt, as VRT was already paid on it.

    It would be however difficult to establish that facts, except for scenario where you find a seller who imported that car from Ireland beforehand himself and didn't reclaim VRT here.

    It's just a thought.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

    Some countries do, but many don't.

    UK and Germany being best examples of countries where there is no registration tax.

  • Registered Users Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭User1998

    All countries have fees for registering cars. Vehicle registration fee is €40 in Germany and £55 in the UK. Ours is just insanely high but its not illegal.