Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Estate Agent commission

Options
  • 07-07-2022 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hey folks,

just out of interest…

if I hire an estate agent to sell my property but the sale falls through and the property proves too difficult to sell due to a building defect, am I still liable to pay the 1.5% commission fee?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,154 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

1.5% of what if the sale falls through?

Your only liability will be for advertising and signage if the property doesn’t sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Laszlo Cravensworth

thanks for the reply!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,988 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Isn't that agents problem, they're job to sell it, they didn't do their part so I can't see how you could owe anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭LunaLoo

Yeah basically if u don't sell they don't get commission but you'd have to cover any advertising costs. Ie cost of erecting sign, myhome/daft fees, any newspaper ads.

But just read the contract carefully, there's usually a clause that if u sell through another agent or by urself within a certain time frame (I think it's 6months with us) you could be liable

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Laszlo Cravensworth

Thanks for the replies folks. I called up Sherry Fitzgerald and they confirmed the same. I know of a nightmare story involving an acquaintance who used a small estate agent for selling her property and when it didn’t sell after a few months she took it off the market. the agent said he was entitled to a percentage of the advertised selling price as commission because it was in the contract agreement!

she ended up not paying but the estate agent tried his utmost to get it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement