Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France Stage 6 - Binche to Longwy (219.9km)

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,880 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Unbelievable from Pogacar. He wants the full set of jerseys this years, including green. I think it’s his last chance to take white. 😂

Seriously though, how strong is he to be able to do that already?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭Sigma101

He's only 23 so he has another 2 years in the white jersey. The idea of white was to reward a potential future Tour winner. However, going by Pog's performance, the next TdF winner is unlikely to be in the peloton and may well still be in school.

For some reason it’s stuck in my head that it’s for U23s. But it’s U25s

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,051 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Cycling demographics have changed, think the rules need to catch up.

Needs to either be for tour debut and\or under 23s.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,319 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Bot1

Can we believe in Pogacar?

He looks superhuman out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭thebourke

if he wins tomorrow the race is definitely over

• Registered Users Posts: 11,993 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

Unfortunately true. The grand tours without him are now far more enjoyable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think I'm a bit less pessimistic than some regarding the GC being over, even if Pog wins again today. His team was exposed again, and the last few days could take a further toll on them. They don't have the power to control everyone, and Pieper a big loss in the Team car. The question is really whether the skineos "new type of racing" happens on the Tour, how well Rog has recovered, and whether ineos and JV are prepared to fire people up the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Paddigol

A couple of contenders need to do a Kelderman and just sit on his wheel and let some others try to wear him down, then try to drop him in the last km a few times to just nick 10 seconds here and 10 seconds there. A bit like Pog did to Rog in 2020. Just stay within striking distance for until the last couple of big mountain stages and see what way the cards fall. I don't think Sky Train tactics will break him as he seems to be the strongest rider there and comfortable just sitting with whatever pace is laid down. It could be a dark horse who ends up being his closest challenger in the final week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭RoscommonHero

I strongly suspect, with regard to the GC battle anyway, that this will be a procession with Pog way out ahead of anyone else. I don't see any realistic challengers and barring an accident or illness I think the yellow jersey is a formality for him.

Post edited by RoscommonHero on

I think what’s more likely to happen is the other GC contenders ride against each other for podiums places. They know they haven’t a hope.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 911 ✭✭✭Raoul Duke

I think so too. There might be a stage where someone like Roglic/Vlasov finds himself in a break and UAE are in trouble bringing it back. In that situation Ineos will probably do Pogacar's work for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Paddigol

Well, I can at least hope! Quite possibly as suggested though. More or less what happened last year IIRC.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,288 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Real test of the "new Ineos" whether their prepared to risk a podium to win the tour. Also lays down a marker for future years, even if they try and fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,607 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

edit: wrong thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

They might reach an agreement where INEOS don't chase and then the favour is returned if it works out?

Advertisement