Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living in Ballymote

Options
  • 07-07-2022 8:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hi everyone,

After look at many places in Sligo town and find the prices of the houses are on the celling, I started looking in some small towns close to Sligo.

One of the places that I liked was Ballymote. 

Anyone knows if is a good place to live in? 

Any areas in the town that is not highly recommend to move(thinking about buying, so not easy to move from there after that). 

Any good recommendation/advice? 

Thank you.

Regards,

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Mountain View is a nice and quiet estate just on the edge of town, it is a short walk into Supervalu or any of the other shops on the main street. Nothing for sale there at the moment though. I haven't lived in Ballymote permanently but have spent a while staying there over a few months late last year and early this year. I saw no down sides to Ballymote and we would have bought there if a suitable house had come up when we were looking. Someone more local might be able to give some cons.

Pros - on the train line, has a Supervalu open til 9pm every night, has a few pubs, a Garda station, a community hall with various groups/activities, a community park with playground, Ballymote Castle has just recently reopened to the public which might bring extra visitors/traffic to the town. If you don't fancy cooking any evening there is Imelda's Picnic Basket (cafe), Cactus (Mexican and Irish food) and the Coach house Hotel. I appreciate these options more now that I live somewhere that the nearest takeaway is a 10-15 minute drive away 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 11 EuMendes

Hi miamee,

Thank you for the comment.

I visited the town 3 times, looks nice. But it is always good to ask and hear from the ones that know the area.

Thank you again.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

No problem, good luck with your search :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Just make sure you visit any area you are buying in at different times of the day, different days of the week, weekends etc

Don't rush buying because once you've bought, you'll be pretty much stuck with it.

Not all areas are the same & not all houses are the same. Budget etc has an impact on what you can get.

Sligo town has gotten very expensive for first time buyers so Ballymote & Tubber towns have benefited from this.

Good luck with the house hunting.

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

You do know that it's often called Ballyremote?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 EuMendes

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Barangutan

Have you considered Collooney or Ballisodare? Both are much closer to Sligo town, have Union Wood on their doorstep, nice parks & pitches, great supermarkets, nice pubs, takeaways, cafes etc. I'm not saying they're nicer than Ballymote, it's just the closeness to town gives you so many more options.

My father is from Keash and my grandmother lived in Ballymote so I spent a lot of time there when I was a child. I hated it. I moved back west to Sligo in recent years and found that the town hadn't changed a bit in 20 odd years, apart from maybe looking even more desolate. Apologies to anyone living there, I'm sure it's a lovely town, I might just have PTSD from being dragged there every week as a child against my will.

Advertisement