Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you do ?

Options
  • 06-07-2022 2:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,572 ✭✭✭✭

Ok fantasy scenario ,

If you where in your early20's ,living at home in Dublin ,no dependants , On lets say 40 grand a year & all of a sudden got handed 200grand cash ,

What would you do with it ?

Buy property worth 200 grand, (good luck finding that in Dublin )

Buy a property down the country

Buy a property abroad,

Buy a property to rent out ,

Get a mortgage on top of the 200 grand to buy something ,

Keep living at home & keep saving & building your salary

Or another ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,563 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Leverage the 200k at 1:4 and buy commercial rental property in different parts of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

I know what I wouldn't do, which is buy a property to rent out. Landlords are leaving the market in their droves. They can't get out and sell up fast enough.

What I also would be less inclined to is keeping the €200k on deposit. If inflation gets to 10 percent, you have € 20k lost worth of it's value at the end of the year.

Money on deposit is very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Pissy Missy

You can bring me out to dinner first 😆 for real though, you could buy a house and rent it out to make money, the interest you pay off a mortgage is criminal so if you can buy it without one all the better, 200k is a lot of money and you should find ways of investing and making more money off of it. Also you could treat your parent(s) to a gift and maybe siblings (if you have any) to a fab dinner out/few nights away etc but that's up to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Deub

Why would use it in one thing only?

Get some financial advise from a professional. You can also look at investing some in pension, some in financial market, etc

Don’t use it all straight away. Use 25% now, 25% in 3-6 months, etc It would mitigate any rapide change in stock market.

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭AySeeDoubleYeh

Personally, I'd look to buy a 2-bed apartment in Dublin for 300-350k, mortgage the extra, and rent out one of the rooms. I am sure there are better ways to invest the money, but this ensures you have

• your own property, which is ~guaranteed to appreciate in value long-term
    • an additional income stream on top of your 9-5

You'd be set for life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭KilOit

Get a mortgage on top of the 200 grand to buy something but only after living a little, early 20s is too young to settle down in a property

• Registered Users Posts: 10,041 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Take 20k, travel the world and then consider your options!

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kurooi

1. If I have a job that qualifies for a mortgage, skip to step 3. otherwise, put money in savings account.
    2. get a job, live with parents another 1-2 yrs and save at easy pace (still enjoy life, a cheap holiday)
    3. Get a mortgage, look for property 300-400k with income potential. Say a 3 bed 2 bath house in Finglas, or a 2-3 bed apartment. Somewhere within easy commute of Dublin, or with other value like near a college or jobs. Take into account any property that might come with a commercial unit or billboard space.
    4. Move into that, rent out other rooms. Don't AirBnB or anything like that, grab some nice tenants and hold onto them even if they pay a little below market.
    5. Enjoy my 20s, focus on skillset, career, health, relationships.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Stay as far away from property as possible, it's a high risk asset with a low return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Irish_rat

Buying property at very peak is not wise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,572 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Just to be clear i don't have 200k cash , & all the money i do have is tied up paying my mortgage ,

I asked because i heard of a guy locally who happens to fallen into the situation ,

Advertisement