Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best way for teen to start rugby in Dublin?

Options
  • 06-07-2022 2:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

We signed my son up to a well known Dublin club in Jan (he was 15 then, 16 now) but they've only had three games and one training session since then. He got on for the last two minutes of one of the games, and is eager for more. He's athletic and strong and could be a good player, but didn't go to a rugby school so he's a beginner at the game. Was it just the club we went to or are all clubs this quiet? Any better ways for him to start training regularly with the chance of the odd game? Any ideas greatly appreciated!

Tagged:

Best Answer

Yeah, it might be no harm checking in with the club and just asking for indicative dates etc. I would expect any decent sized club to definitively be fielding a team at that level, but no harm in confirming this with the club.

Moving clubs is not as stressful for rugby as for a GAA club for example, but probably best to check first if the issue is with the club.

A player joining in January is kind of 75% through the season, so perhaps not unexpected not to feature hugely from there. If he's there for the full pre-season he'll have a much better sense of where he's at, and how much playing time to expect. Like another poster mentioned as well, I wouldn't worry at all about the not attending a rugby school, it's not remotely uncommon in a lot of the Dublin clubs.

Answers

Advertisement