Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Airbnb kitchenette in RPZ

Options
  • 05-07-2022 9:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I will be Airbnbing a basement area in our new house in Wicklow (rent pressure zone). It currently has 2 bedrooms and a bathroom. There is also a storage/utility room which I would like to convert to a kitchenette. My understanding is, if I putt in a full kitchen I will not be allowed Airbnb it as it would be considered a self-contained unit, but would I be allowed put in a sink and/or a microwave and perhaps a countertop plug-in hob? What constitutes a "kitchen". Many thanks, Tom.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

They will look at it in it's totality. Do the people have access to the rest of the house? If not it is being rented as self contained if rented over a certain period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭T0MMY

Thanks for your reply. There is a staircase up to the rest of the house with a doorway, but I was planning on keeping that locked when there are guests visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

As the whole place is your principal residence and yu access all of it, provided your rentals are less than 14 days each, it comes down to whether you have created a self contained unit which is a breach of planning. presumably the wiring and plumbing are part of main house's plumbing and wiring. You can certainly install a utility room in addition to a kitchen in your house.

Once there is any kind of a kitchen with facilities for preparing, cooking and storing food the council would probably claim it is a self contained unit or an unauthorised sub-division of a planning unit. If your work is reversible all they can do is serve a notice on you to remove the offending structure or discontinue the unauthorised use.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,390 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

I have stayed in a few bnb, if it's not rural or its the type of place where people usually only stay a night or two for example attending a wedding.

I wouldn't put in a kitchen, make one of the rooms a sitting room with a sofa bed and one room a bedroom make sure they have a kettle and a fridge, a good shower, and loo. That way it is self-contained but not capable of being rented out long therm so would work as an air bnb.

In the vast majority of cases, guests staying a night or two won't be cooking but they need to get snacks/tea and coffee and maybe breakfast.

Electricity and plumbing are all part of the main residence. I was hoping to install a sink with drinkable water, a microwave, a fridge and a plug in counter top hob, but it sounds like they might consider that a kitchen. Thanks for your help.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mariaalice, I think I may go that route. I would probably still get good bookings even without a kitchenette.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Why not install the kitchen and do stays off 14 days or more. We currently do it, charge a pretty substantial rate, and are fully booked out. However, we are in a city (not dublin).

Good idea, thank you!

Where do you advertise to get 14+ day bookings?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

Does it have a separate entrance?

• Advertisement

It can be accessed either through the house and down a stairs or by it's own entrance.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭DonnieCorko

Airbnb. We are fully booked charging around 70% of what we would charger for short term stays. Less cleaning and hassle so it worked out, but only doing it because of the legislation around STL as its a second property. Feel free to DM with any specific questions.

Advertisement