Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you get a regular "NCT" checkup from your doctor?

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

they can't prevent cancer, i don't think anyone credible claims that; but there appears to be a large body of evidence that it helps reduce the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,832 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Gen-yun question; If one hasn't been to the doctor in years, no real need to, but is coming up 40, is a check up recommended, or is it just there's no need for the routine part?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,484 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i wouldn't see any reason to go to the doc unless you were having health issues and/or there was a specific health issue you know runs in the family; e.g. BRCA gene, haemochromatosis, etc.

i was advised to regularly get checked for prostate cancer markers after the age of 40 because my dad developed a fairly aggressive form before he hit 60.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Not sure of their value outside of blood tests and blood pressure

i was checked regularly and then thought I had a stomach problem and got a Ct scan and they spotted kidney cancer which was a fluke discovery

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Japan does something like this they call it "human dock" (ningen dock) with dock as in ships. Government pay for basic version with options you or insurance can pay over that, and private clinics set up just for it compete heavily offering additional services to get that business. Think they start at 30 or so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

You can’t get a scheduled appointment with my doctor unless you are actually sick. There’s no way my doctor will see you just for a check up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

I do in my hole.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

• Registered Users Posts: 10,443 ✭✭✭✭Furze99

Sounds odd if that's a GP practice. Depending on age - over 50 anyway, an annual visit is no harm and part of their work.

But to OP, many fellas anyway just wait till something is not right and their partner/ wife tells them to go. Probably partly explains why male life expectancy is shorter than female, latter are more used to interacting with the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,305 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Have you any idea about the shortage of GP's? I could get a checkup at ours if I wanted but it would be a fortnight at the earliest before I could get an appointment.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭WJL

Absolutely. Very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,842 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

I did in late February, for the first time ever.

Thanks to the pandemic I hadn't seen him in three years and as I'm in my mid-forties, I thought exactly that, that an 'NCT' would be a good idea. He did bloods, scheduled a couple of routine tests commensurate with my family medical history and referred me for a lipoma removal which I'm having next month.

The bloods revealed very slightly elevated lipids and gluscose which needed a bit of lifestyle correction, but otherwise all is tickedy-boo.

Great peace of mind, I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't been ill enough to see their GP in a few years, especially if they are entering middle age.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I work in a hospital so I can get regular blood tests in order to keep an eye on everything. I normally have to keep an eye on my cholesterol, urate level and ferritin level. My ferritin is quite high although I've been diagnosed as a hemochromatosis gene carrier as opposed to actually having full blown hemochromatosis. My uncle died of bowel cancer so I've had a recent bowel screen also in which everything turned out okay thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

A mate of mine was very very grumpy and got tested and his iron levels were over “drumroll “ 3000 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Holy ****!! A real life Iron Man 😅 My levels were just over 1000

Advertisement