Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which section in the washing machine drawer is for what?

• 04-07-2022 8:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭

I recently had to start doing hand-wash cycle as apparently my wardrobe repertoire is expanding.

When I turned it on, some water came into the far right drawer for about 10 seconds.

Then a lot of water came into the far left drawer for about a minute.

After that I don't know what is what.

For regular cycles I have usually put the detergent into the drum of the machine with the clothes.

But there's a more precise way to manage things?

I use stain remover (granules for "tough stains") and fabric softener/conditioner/scent, also.

In physics we trust....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,557 ✭✭✭GrumPy

I put detergent and anti limescale stuff, and oxy granules in the left most part. I put softener in the middle one, and never use the right-most one...😅

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Left is the main place for detergent, your stain remover granules go in there as well. Middle is for fabric softener. Right is if you use a pre-wash setting and want to add more detergent for it. Don't think it really matters whether you put the detergent in the drawer or just straight into the drum but it definitely makes sense to put the softener in the middle section as that will get used at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭KildareP

Left is main wash.

Middle is softener or fabric conditioner for the final rinse.

Right is pre-wash.

Most machines will run water through both sections to account for someone accidentally putting the detergent in the prewash instead of the main wash although I had an older Beko that would run water through the prewash section for 10-15 seconds and then pump it straight out into the drain before filling through the main wash section.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Sugar_Rush

My whites have gone horribly ghrey.

So I bought some Ariel original (normally use non-bio gel), as apparently it's the best for whites.

Should oxy-action whitening granules be mixed in the left drawer with the Ariel powder?

Is that necessary, or is Ariel enough by itself?

In physics we trust....

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭Dr Karl

I found that Vanish is the best. They have one for whites, you can pre-soak your clothes with Vanish for better results, before putting them in the washing machine. You then wash on a normal cycle (40-60C) with more Vanish added to your detergent in the left drawer. The oxi-action detergent should have instructions on the pack and you should follow them as if you use too much you may damage your clothes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

Brilliant Q.. This has baffled me for years. One product, 3 options😊😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

And you can take the whole thing out for cleaning if you press the blue button down at the back of the middle compartment and pull the whole thing out. I know it doesn't sound right that you need to clean the bit of your washing machine that gets all the washing power put through it but you really do. If you don't a sort of congealed mass of washing power mush can build up.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Advertisement