Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chip shortage and getting new EV with type 2 charging soon

• 02-07-2022 7:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭

Ordered the Nissan Leaf but seen the Chip shortage

In short, is there any makes available of EV within a 40k budget that one can order and receive at a godly rate? Reason i ask is that I already have a charger installed prior to seeing this problem

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,901 ✭✭✭✭the_amazing_raisin

Well you already ordered the Leaf, so there's your car for under €40k 😁

The salesman should have given you a timeframe for delivery. I believe Nissan are quite good with delivery dates so I'd be fairly confident of it. Might be delayed for a month if it misses a boat but otherwise should be reasonably safe

I wouldn't worry too much about chip shortages. Too some extent they're starting to ease off and production is picking up again, although it's likely other shortages will pop up

If Nissan had no capacity to build your car they wouldn't take your order. Each country is allocated a certain amount of orders per year and they'll close the order book for the year when they're sold

"The internet never fails to misremember" - Sebastian Ruiz, aka Frost

Also I don't think there's any other EVs available in a shorter timeframe, VW are sold out for 2022, and I think Kia and Tesla are the same

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,875 ✭✭✭zg3409

There is a thread on new vehicle availability here

I am not sure of what the "with type 2" comment in the subject. All new EVs have a type 2 connector. Only the leaf now comes with the somewhat obsolete chademo connector (even the new Nissan ariya does not have chademo) while every other EV uses CCS standard including the new Nissan ariya. Over time chademo will become less available on public chargers so you may have long term issues with some providers like ionity & Tesla not supporting the chademo standard.

I would suggest ringing around dealers yourself as availability can vary by dealer and sometimes customers cancel orders.

Learn the real world range of your car and the state of the public charging network before you commit to buying an EV. Public charging and real world range is main issues with going full EV

Is there any particular concern you have with your Leaf? If you've already ordered one then you can speak to the dealer about any potential delays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,600 ✭✭✭veryangryman

So ive sent deposit but it isnt "ordered". They offered deposit back but i said keep me in the queue as demand aint going to go down.

So will have to wait until next year

• Advertisement

Ah okay, sounds like they've stopped taking orders for this year

You've a few options:

You can try and get an EV this year, the thread @zg3409 linked is probably your best bet. Be prepared to move quickly if any become available and you may end up paying a premium

Alternatively, find the EV you really want (assuming it isn't the Leaf) put in an order and join the queue

Third option is to stick with Nissan and try to argue some favourable terms in exchange for waiting and letting them keep your deposit. You might be able to get next year's model at the current price, it's not like prices are going down. Or you might be able to lock in a good trade in value for your current car and save 1 year's depreciation

Advertisement