Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 276 Adesanya v Cannonier Volk v Holloway

Options
2»

Comments

I usually find Adesanya but I'm fine with this entrance. 😂

You cannot come out to The Undertaker's music and gimmick and lose...

TBH it happens once a champion has a few defences, they tend to keep doing what they're doing til someone catches them out.

1st round kinda similar to the last fight, not a huge amount in it but clear enough. Can see the rest of this following the same pattern as the last fight.

• Advertisement

3rd for Cannonier I think. Poor enough main card in the end.

Just about have it level going into the last, really couldn't argue with 40-36 Adesanya though.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Maybe approaching the middleweight GOAT level but hundreds of people leaving during R5 isnt a good look.

FW division kinda dead at the mo. Good to see AV is going to step up to LW.

Post edited by The Nal on

• Registered Users Posts: 39,085 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Good card.

Jessy’s arm was bent to a horrific angle.

Lawlor ate a lot of elbows.

Strickland is a clown. Cost me an accumulator.

Izzy is boring.

Volks is a level above Max, who bears everyone else easily

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Fell asleep before the Volkanovski Hollway fight. Watched it just there.

Complete shutout of an elite fighter. Excited to see him at 155. He'll be fighting significantly bigger men like Olivera, but who would bet against him?

• Advertisement

I think he's too small. He'd be picked off. Some of the LWs are walking around at 180.

Cejudo called him out after the fight. That's the fight to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Perhaps. But bit like Canelo not being shy about moving up weight classes in boxing, someone like Volk should be commended for taking on the 155 division despite being 5'6.

Absolutely. Would love to see it. But yeah, I think just a bit too small. Him standing up vs Poirier boxing? Or defending an Oliveira spider all over your back type submission. Dunno.

Either way he's cleaned out the division and needs to do something else. Like McGregor in 2015.

Hopefully we see this in 22

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

Strickland might reconsider his game plan should he come up against an elite striker next time, way too casual last night. I think maybe

he felt like he couldn't be beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,901 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Savage card, Izzy is great at not getting hit, his fighting style just isn't very entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,085 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I know he’s a headbanger. But genuinely though he’d acknowledge that he’s an mma fighter and bjj brown belt facing an kick-boxer with only a couple of MMAfights. It’s absurdly obvious to take him down.

Elite boxers/kickboxers would lose in MMA has kinda been the script forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Still shocked at how trashed Max got in that fight. I know it's more about how good Volk is rather than Max under-performing but it wasn't remotely competitive. Hard to know where he goes now.

Izzy and Cannonier another slog to get through. Enjoyed pretty much every fight bar that one.

Strickland got caught badly, what the hell was his gameplan....I'll just casually jab away at this elite level kickboxer. Bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,545 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Max style is all wrong for Volk , Max has always been quite stationery & used his length & volume to chew people up but Volks movement is just perfect to get around that style,

Strickland never got going at all m, doubt he was even sweating seemed way to relaxed and causal, its like he didn't care if he got touched which was a huge mistake, he kept trying to parry every single jab , like every single one , Even reacted the same way to every feint , Any even striker at any half decent level would have seen that as an open invitation to throw the left hook , So so poor

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Max just doesn't have the KO power to trouble Volkanovski, usually his cardio means he can wear down opponents with his volume of strikes but Volk looked like he barely broke a sweat. On another level to Max.

Cannoneer just looked like he was happy to be there. Happy to accept losing by decision, happens way too in this sport when fighters get their chance against the champion, they must look back on the recording in weeks to come and regret not going for it.

Izzy, reminds me of Mayweather, slow in the opening rounds, he's figuring you out, watching your movement, patterns, different combo's, then quickly realizes there's little threat and come round 2 or 3 he's dominating you.

Disappointing for all regarding O'Malley fight, occasionally that happens.

Loved the Lawlor fight, stand and bang was all they knew.

Strictland, strikes you as guy who doesn't engage much with his brain inside or outside the cage. All ego and look where it got him.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

So Izzy wants Pereira next to avenge his ko defeat to him in his kickboxing days.

Come on Dana, make that fight happen.

On the Undertaker entrance I was disappointed. He should have had the Undertaker there to take the urn off him when he got to the Octogan.

• Advertisement

Its funny how the MMA community bash wrestling but as soon as theres any chance to embrace it they do. The Rock with the BMF belt, Kurt Angles music, Undertaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭Porthallian

Those 3 wrestlers came from a golden era though. WWF was great back in the day. Would anyone care if Izzy walked out to AJ Styles music?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

I feel (assuming pereira is next) that Izzy will do much the same thing to him as Cannonier unless he gets stopped.

I think although it's an obvious match up that as a contest it won't be very entertaining with both showing each other too

much respect and being over cautious.

That's my gut feeling anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 37,626 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

You should watch their kickboxing fight. At no stage was Pereira afraid of Izzy's power. He got hit loads of times and kept coming.

I don't think it'll be anything like that but there could be a lot of kicks. I think they'll go at each other, there is no love lost between them.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,545 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

The Octagon is a lot bigger than a ring and a lot harder to cut someone off in ,

Once Izzy feels Pereira ,Izzy he will be on his bike & win boring decision ,

Izzy style just suits the space far better , i don't think he is silly enough to let his ego take over, If he does he will get knocked out,

Advertisement