If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

Registering an old tractor (never registered)

  • 02-07-2022 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭


    I’m trying to register an old never before registered tractor:

    I contacted revenue and they sent me out an I acquire form as they refer to it

    Had to get an inspection done by tractor dealer and stamped and also stamped by a commissioner of oaths. Then return to vehicle licensing in Shannon.

    With all that done I have had the forms returned to me by Shannon office saying I need a registration number and telling me to bring the tractor to a NCT office. Pretty sure this isn’t a step that’s required…

    Anyone else run into a similar problem


  • Registered Users Posts: 10,866 ✭✭✭✭Base price

    I think the idea of bringing it to a NCT center is to have the chassis number recorded. What type of tractor is it and someone on here might be able to tell you where the chassis number is located. Some tractors have it printed on a metal plate.

  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭briaineo

    It a Leyland 272, the chassis number was required on the revenue form and had to be verified by an official tractor dealers stamp which it was.

    99% sure that being asked to bring the tractor to an NCT office is not necessary

  • Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭emaherx

    I'm sure you do have to go to an NCT Center now, you may not need the actual tractor but photos and documentation. However your next step is contact the NCT.

  • Registered Users Posts: 1,278 ✭✭✭ginger22

    All tractors for first registration in the state must go to NCT center to be inspected and verify chassis number no matter what age.

  • Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

    A friend of mine had the same problem… brought it to a NCT centre, nice guy came out and took the chassis number, and the hours on the tractor. Issued the reg number then at the desk. Think it cost 200e or so.

  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,787 ✭✭✭kirk.

  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭briaineo

    Thanks for the replies; I rang vrt section in revenue and they said there if the vehicle is unroadworthy or basically under serious repair you can just bring in the paperwork but it’s not clear cut, I asked him where I might find this in writing and he said to search revenue site for “unroadworthy” didn’t find anything or than in relation to scraped cars. Rang Nct (first) said you have to bring the tractor in