Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leap card distribution expanded (hahaaaa) to An Post / Point Point Outlets

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Used to be able to store payment details on the app. Did they remove that feature?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,591 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Yes you can store the card details.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭p_haugh

They changed the implementation slightly however, so even though your card is protected with a four digit PIN you are still required to enter your 3 digit CVV as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,792 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I guess I could really spell it it, and say "Well shops like Tesco are pretty damn good at managing other things they sell which are cash-equivalents, like gift cards and stamps, so I guess they would be able to manage Leap cards the same way".

But I'd like to think that the average Boards user is smart enough to make the link without it being spelled out for them. Maybe I'm over optimisitic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭apache

A little extra security. Nothing wrong with that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,594 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Ah ok, I must have misremembered, I use auto-topup, I was seeing a friends struggle to topup and enter their card details.

Though still silly you have to remember a 4 digit pin and even then it doesn’t have the CVV!

Like on an iPhone why can’t it use Face ID or Touch ID rather than a PIN, same on some Android phones. Like FaceID is good enough for AIB and Revolut, but not for topping up iPhone! And BTW a 4 digit PIN is much less secure then Face ID.

And anyway, if it supported Apple/Google Pa, it wouldn’t even need to store your card details and no PIN needed and no need to enter your card details the first time. So much easier to use Apple Pay. I’m always delighted to see websites and services support Apple Pay, sites that doesn’t and make you enter your details even the first time seem so backwards and old fashioned to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,262 ✭✭✭markpb

That link wasn’t obvious to me at all.

NTA issue a tender for the Leap Operate contract which is the back-office functionality of the Leap card. Companies tender for that contract and, as part of that, they partner with a retail network, typically An Post or Payzone. They could partner with Tesco but for whatever reason, they either don’t ask Tesco or Tesco don’t want to. NTA award the operate contract as a whole and get whatever retail network comes along with the winner - they don’t pick it directly. They could choose to tender the retail network separately and tell the operations company to work with them but they don’t.

Tesco could ask the retail network if they could sell Leap cards. First they’d need to join the AP or Payzone networks but they haven’t. I’d imagine they only do IT integrations that can be used internationally. All those gift cards are handled by international operators who aggregate multiple card brands so Tesco can do a single integration and get all of them. Leap is not part of that and probably too small for them to bother to do separately. The requirement for dedicated external hardware for Leap would be an extra nail in the coffin for that idea.

Advertisement