Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Am I insured to drive new car?

Options
  • 26-06-2022 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought a new car yesterday and being a Saturday the broker was not open for me to ring them and change the policy to the new car on my existing car insurance.

However, I am insured to drive other cars so would I be ok to drive the car as I'd assume the dealership would still have it covered under trade car insurance?

I need to drive from Dublin to Kells today so just wondering would I be safe to drive?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

I wouldn't assume anything when it comes to insurance cover. A family member assumed the same when they purchased a new car, but the trade insurance only covered the employees of the dealership. Also, when you are calling the broker many people assume they have "open driving" carried on from previous policies but it is not always the case. Best to check.

I have a parent and my husband named on my car policy for this purpose, as open driving for me was significantly more cost-wise.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,745 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Driving other cars almost always excludes other cars you own. Do not assume you are insured

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Depending on insurance provider, you can often switch insurance online to kick in on a set time/day. Husband did it this week when collecting new car. This was with Aviva.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

I agree with the first two replies :

The trade insurance is for trade employees driving cars in the course of their business requirements and the personal 'driving other cars' clause, usually excludes other cars that you own.

Unfortunately OP, I reckon you would not be covered to drive a new car that you have not informed your insurance company of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,895 ✭✭✭kirving

Normally , you would not be insured, as you own this car. It wouldn't fall under the "driving other cars" section of the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,434 ✭✭✭jhegarty

You are most lightly not insured. Do not drive today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Would you not have got that sorted during the week before?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,449 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

You're most certainly not covered by your previous insurance. I've often picked up a new car on a Saturday - you arrange the cover for the new car on the Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,133 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

No you are certainly not insured to drive it. The driving of other cars only applies to cars you don't own and there may also be other policy restrictions or conditions on whether you are covered to drive other cars too. It will be stated in your policy documents. And as soon as you pay for the car you are deemed the owner (ie you would suffer a financial loss if it were damaged, stolen or destroyed), not when registration transfers over to you as many people think.

And most insurance companies or brokers are only open at weekends for emergenies and claims. Some have the facility to transfer the policy online. Otherwise you would need to arrange in advance stating that you want to transfer the policy over to the new car at a specific time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,691 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Was the buying a new car an impulse thing or not know the reg number? Why didn't you ring your insurance and get it changed over

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,829 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Other thing to note that I used to have it in my policy that driving other cars was restricted to the other car being insured in its own right. Ie someone elses insured car

• Registered Users Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭lightspeed

Thanks all, I'm still insured on my old car so used that for the day. I'll call the broker tomorrow to switch. Why all insurers/brokers are not up to date to allow ot to he done online boggles the mind.

Because the demand isn't there for it, 90%+ just organise it in advance. It's hardly rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭User1998

How do you know the demand isn’t there for online insurance? Just because someone wants to buy online doesn’t mean they are leaving it last minute or not organising it advance

🙄 That's not what I said. But good luck I'm not arguing over somebody who hadn't checked their situation re insurance before picking up a car and their gripe that their insurers didn't allow an instant change online on a Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

As far as the trade policy goes,in most if not all cases,you're not even officially covered to test drive without a named driver on the policy with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Dirty Nails

Because transfers like that open the gates for fraud. ie:smacking a car then doing the transfer. Having said that though,there was no problem doing that years ago by garage fax for after hours or weekend transfers. Mostly temp transfers though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,871 ✭✭✭User1998

What are you saying then? It seems like your saying that the only people buying online are those who are doing it last minute, hence why there is no demand

In my case I was waiting on the dealership to verify car was fully serviced and ready before making full payment. I didn't want yo transfer payments and insurance to then discover there is some other bigger issue and have to transfer it back to my old car.

However, even if that was not the case, when I call today the agent is going to plug the details into there computer and tell me what their computer says and then type in the new car details, take any payment due etc.

Why is this human element necessary at all? Can't I just put the same details into same website the agent is going to use and pay any amount due?

The technology should be largely already built as I think for nearly all insurers and brokers you can get a quote online and pay for it without having to call them.

Well the car dealer had only just met me and gave me the keys to test drive it on my own.He hadn't even asked to see my license or asked if I was insured. I'm not sure if that is the norm though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement