Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

holes in lawn bit of digging too

Options
  • 25-06-2022 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭

Not able to upload pictures but I came across some odd holes in the back lawn the last day. I'd say a little smaller than golf holes and some digging also. I put a stick into the holes and they don't seem to go anywhere? What is going on does anyone know?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,142 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Rabbits? Though they tend to dig either big serious holes or just scrape out little hollows. Pics? Rats are a possibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

Young Rabbits ...seen holes in lawn here too

We have lots of rabbits, including brazen (or stupid) young ones. I haven't seen any actual holes, only scraped out hollows. The warrens in the boundary ditches have big entrances.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

You'd get small pop holes coming off from those warrens. Very small holes you would expect a rabbit to be able to get out of but put a ferret down and they'll get out of the quick enough. You wouldn't get pop holes on a lawn though.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Sounds just like the scraping rabbits do on our lawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭bobbyss

I doubt if its rabbits. It's an enclosed garden urban. I've heard of voles? Would that be a possibility? These holes don't seem to go anywhere. Like small golf holes maybe an inch or maybe two. But as i say nothing in them. Dead end.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭ORVEE

Could be a fox. We had the same as you mentioned a few years ago. Set up a trail cam, which caught Mr. Fox red handed.

I have also googled and YouTubed that and I suppose that is a distinct possibility.

I just had another look a few minutes ago and these definitely some digging going on, Some gouging away at the grass. But i just do not understand this holes business. Foxes don't make clear cut roundy shaped holes the size of small golfballs?

if it is voles WHERE ARE THEY!!! The holes go nowhere and the gouging of soil goes nowhere either as far as I can se. i have put a stick into the holes and they stop. The digging also. There does not seem to be ANY tunnell or anything like that. It is like a dog like animal was pawing away at the grass but no tunnels.

Trail cam? Where did you get it? How much? Was it useful?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,352 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Voles are tiny they'd get through a hole you'd make with a pencil.

Badger is another that will dig a hole to get at grubs, he's a little less delicate at it than a fox.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Voles wouldn't make hikes in the middle of a lawn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭dr_funkenstein

We had this in our garden and it was grey squirrels looking for food they had buried

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭standardg60

Has to be a fox OP

Foxes dig like dogs, with much scattering of soil. They don't make deep little round holes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭RainInSummer

I have the same thing in my back garden. Very much a rural area. Goes down about a foot before the stick I use stops. It's about 18in out from the ditch.

I've filled it in a few times and it appears back. No soil on the grass, just the neat little round hole.

I got a trail cam up on it a few years back but no hits. Could remain filled for a month or two and then it's back so I'm not bothered leaving the cam out for that length.

Lots of fox in the area and lots of hedgehog too. There's no way it's a fox though, they just don't dig like that.

Rat is my best guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭petronius

I had foxes digging holes, filled them in and they'd dig them again or others - seemed to be after worms etc.

Could be two things going on. In my (fairly limited) experience the bits of digging could be any of the animals mentioned, rabbits, foxes, etc. The neat round holes are something else and not likely to be rabbits or foxes. Not likely to be badgers, they make large holes with a lot of scraped out soil below them/in one direction. Rabbits tend to scatter the soil in their little scrapes so thinly you can hardly see it, fox digging is bigger and more spread (like the fox that made a - fairly feeble - attempt to dig up a recently buried cat, we covered the grave with large stones and it lost interest.)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

upload pics OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭pawrick

Image 2 looks like the damage rooks do to my lawn looking for cockshafer grubs. The other images also look similar to ones I've occasionally seen in my garden and I'd have foxes, hedgehogs and occasionally rats but no squirrels.

100% fox

• Advertisement

But how could a fox make a perfect small hole with no debris around?

I was just about to post the same when I saw yours. That's very like Rooks digging for leatherjackets.

There's debris around most of them in your pics, the cleaner ones look older. I've seen these holes a hundred times around Dublin.

Keep an eye out early in the morning and you'll probably spot them.

I sure will. I've watched Foxes, Rooks, Rabbits etc rooting in the lawn many times. I've never seen a fox leave a hole like that. Maybe your foxes are different - so be it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

a polite middle class Fox perhaps that doesn't want to leave a mess behind?

do you live in Foxrock OP?

I would agree there is evidence of a fox digging - but - I think it was digging out a hole that already existed as a small, clean hole, and I still think a rat is the most likely culprit.

• Advertisement

So the fox was digging a hole already started by a rat? Give me a break

The lengths some posters will go to to simply save face rather than admit to being wrong is laughable, there's nothing wrong with being wrong. This is an enclosed urban garden, suggestions of rabbits, badgers and voles were wrong to start with, now it must be coming from the air!

Forgive me for thinking that people are more interested in disagreeing with me than actually providing the OP with a genuine answer.

Advertisement