Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GDPR

Options
  • 24-06-2022 1:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭

Hi,

A couple of months ago I tipped off someone else's front number plate with a sideward glance whilst in reverse, less than 5mph. No paint transfer. Owner goes mental and aggressive, and long story short, starts to claim things like rusted preexisting damage as my fault.

Handed it the insurance company, with the promise that the assessor would talk to me first.

Roll on two months with no further communication from the insurance company. Tried ringing them twice in the intervening period but they never get back. Today I get told that the claim is now settled for near €1500. No assessor ever spoke to me or accident report filled out.

I asked to see the assessor report and was told no, due to GDPR. I asked for a redacted version and was told no. I asked to see an itemised repair bill and again was told no, GDPR.

So here I am left in the dark with a claim against me for near €1500 when it should have cost no more than the cost off buffing out a mark on his number plate. Is the insurance company correct when they say they don't have to give me any information/ reports, even though I am the one paying for them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭Allinall

Once you inform them, they are entitled to settle the claim as they see fit, with no reference to the policyholder.

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ants09

Do not asked the Claims Assessor for the report under GDPR

Get the contact details of the data protection officer in your insurance company and put in a subject access request and you will get the report

That is what i had to do with RSA insurance, mind you i was the one claiming but i got everything in relation to the claim.

Advertisement